buying a swag

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
fish er man
Silver Member
Silver Member

buying a swag

Post by fish er man »

i am getting a swag and just wondering what brands etc are good and what to look for in a good one and where to buy one

cheers

Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: buying a swag

Post by Ben Jam »

Mate, in my experience up here not worth it, one man mozzie domes are the go and get a blow up mattress (thermarest).

I also run a small Coleman fan runs on d size batts, I had it running flat out for 14 hours no sign of slowing.

I was using a swag up here for many years, but i would wake up in the morning sweating my ass off and dehydrated.

Just food for thought.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

Swags are good but they need to be real swags and not those half tent swag things. A swag on a stretcher is awesome to sleep on.

The main thing to look for is that the open end of the swag is the first bit that gets rolled up. I have a sarge major swag that rolls up with the open bit last and it let's a bit of dust in. Doesn't really bother me to much as my traveling car is very dusty anyway.

Camping in a swag is the best way to travel.
haha my camping is pretty dodgy when I am on my own
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

With Ben Jam swags get a bit too hot up here. Go one of the 2second tents

http://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-11 ... id_mlt_0_2
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

seat city mate got mine from there when i was 8 and its still goin strong :mrgreen:
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

You fellas that reckon they are hot, do you sleep with the swag zipped up?
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

I think they mean mozzies eat ya if your in a swag and even got a sheet on you to stop them it's to hot in a mozzie dome ya can lay there uncovered and its not as hot ?? That's what I think they mean anyways:)
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

Thankfully most of the places I fish don't have mozzies or sandflys. Woohoo for long way inland billabongs.
Actually I keep a feather donah thing in my swag and it is cold enough to need it for 1/2 the year
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

Mine is a custom made one from down south and the best thing about it is the bottom is made out of a PVC sort of material. Don't get wet from dew or anything or if the ground is a bit moist etc. I set it on a stretcher now that I'm up here. And it fully opens out so I can have just a sheet if I want and set up a mozzie net from the awning on the ute. I can see why the mozzie domes a good but I love my swag.
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BenH »

I've got a Mr Swagman Double, plenty of room, well made and fits inside my 2 man mozzie dome nicely
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

I have mozzie dome 4 permantly rolled up inside my plain AOS bushman swag. roll out the swag set up mozzie dome and put swag inside. dry season gets cool and a swag will serve you best. open swag up during warmer months and still be protected from the bities. I tried all sorts of sleeping arrangments and you still cant beat a normal swag inside a mozzie dome for a great sleep while camping out.
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

what bear has said.

i have a sarge major swag as well. must be at least 15 years old now.
put all your pillows shetts blankets etc inside and roll up.
if the mozzies are there just get a 1 man mozzie dome. cheap as. and you will get a good sleep.
streachers are ok. but try roll from your side to your back on one or vise versa.
just get a plain swag. not the tent type.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

DOUG wrote:I think they mean mozzies eat ya if your in a swag and even got a sheet on you to stop them it's to hot in a mozzie dome ya can lay there uncovered and its not as hot ?? That's what I think they mean anyways:)
Yeap, thats what I was trying to imply. Doing the whole mozzies are eating me, pull the flap over, now i'm stewing in my own juice's, pull the flap off, all bl..dy night. Does my head in, even in those fancy swags/tents don't allow very good air flow.

You can get a good single man mozzie dome for $60 they have a waterproof bottom so when your on damp ground you don't get a wet ass :moon: . With the small blow up mattress, takes up stuff all room. I still take a sheet/blanket and small pillow.

Swags inside a mozzie dome is good idea, but the only issue I have is when picking up "Mr Creature Comfort" and he fills up half my tray/boat with his sleeping cr.p.
fish er man
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by fish er man »

Isnt there a mozzie net on the swags so you can have canvas flap open and have the mozzie net zipped up
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

Thats the fancy swag/tent i'm talking about.