buying a swag

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
BenH
Seadog
Seadog

Re: buying a swag

Post by BenH »

fish er man wrote:Isnt there a mozzie net on the swags so you can have canvas flap open and have the mozzie net zipped up
There rubbish if you ask me, not enough airflow for up here.
Swag or mattress inside a mozzie dome works well.

barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

sheps wrote:Swags are good but they need to be real swags and not those half tent swag things. A swag on a stretcher is awesome to sleep on.

The main thing to look for is that the open end of the swag is the first bit that gets rolled up. I have a sarge major swag that rolls up with the open bit last and it let's a bit of dust in. Doesn't really bother me to much as my traveling car is very dusty anyway.

Camping in a swag is the best way to travel.
haha my camping is pretty dodgy when I am on my own

a good swag.talble,chair and engal and u can camp like a king
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

Mine is a custom made dome job but I agree it does get hot up here (was great down south!) so as mentioned above I now use mine inside a 10 second pop up mozzie dome without the hoops set up and it works quite well if it gets a bit cool just pull the canvas over for a good nights sleep.
While on the subject of swags these are hard to go past for the price

http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-cate ... swags.html
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!
Sister Ed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sister Ed »

What Bear said with a ground sheet, only way to go for all year comfort. One of those battery operated fans is a bonus in the build up.
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Yep, basic swag in a Black Stump mozzie dome.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

No point missing out on a good night sleep. Swag with mozzie net and canvas that zips right open like a 'mitchell' ? From nt general store etc is needed as you don't want to set up mozzie dome all the time. But mozzie dome is essential some times when its filthy hot and the mozzies are about. Although better to be hot than smashed by mozzies. Copped about 300 bites in a golfball sized lump on my elbow that briefly touched the mozzie dome mesh in my sleep at shady camp once. I reckon a fly on the mozzie dome is worth it to keep clothes and you dry from the storms. I also have a 15 buck air bed rolled in the swag to put under or in the swag, smooths out the rocks and tree roots and provides a pillow. And rolls up to less space than a pillow. Sounds a bit townie but I sleep well.
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

CharFin wrote:I also have a 15 buck air bed rolled in the swag to put under or in the swag, smooths out the rocks and tree roots and provides a pillow. And rolls up to less space than a pillow. Sounds a bit townie but I sleep well.
The air bed will also provide good insulation from the radiated heat coming up from the ground.
muddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muddy »

Try Centre Canvas in Alice. Basic swags,good prices,they will make one to your requirements.
Barramunday2Sunday
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Barramunday2Sunday »

Yep, yep go with the Mitchell from the generall store. I have an AOS single swag that cost $400, the Mitchell is half the price and better! Its a little bit bulkier but. My mate has a mitchell swag and the best thing about them compared to the AOS is that they have a pull apart centre support system that supports the net. Considering that both swags have rope tie off points at both ends of the swag to keep swag taught, this centre support system keeps the net further away from the body and seeing that the Mitchell swag is a little bit roomier to, it provides a restless sleep with room to move, where as the AOS you tend to brush up the side letting the mozzies get their blood suka snouts through into the skin! Though when mine is rooled up it is half the size of the Mitchell.. And it has a 70mm thick mattress in it! Anys ways when you finally buy a swag get a cheap two or three man tent about 50 bucks from the generall store to. When camping, set that up! use that as a mozzie net chuck the swag in and use it as a mattress! Its going to be cold out in the scrubor boat so no need for a fan in the dry!!! I also include a sleeping bag in my swag as well! use as a pillow. The advantages of a swag to, is that you can chuck it in the boat and use it, i have an extra mozzie net folded up and tucked into the compartment where the fold out support system goes. I use this mozzie net stung up under the cannopy. Good luck