Solar panels

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Castamasta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Solar panels

Post by Castamasta »

Hi guys
I wanted opinions on what minimum size solar panel I would need to charge my second battery in my 4wd. I don't usually stop in one spot for too long , so only need a charge every now and then as my fridge will run for atleast a couple of days. Also anyone got any advice on brands or suppliers locally .
Cheers
Gav

grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Solar panels

Post by grumpy »

Hi Mate ecoonline is where I kitted up my house boat from half the price of locals unfortunately. I would get the biggest you can fit on your car roof otherwise they used to have a foldup type that you put out when you stop.

http://www.ecoonline.com.au/online-stor ... combo-kits

Cheers grumpy
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Castamasta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Castamasta »

Thanks grumpy, I will check them out [emoji106]
burners
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by burners »

I put 120W panel on my set up, same as what your after, German designed panels, Chinese made, ebay less than $200. Also bought the regulator from ebay, paid $30 for it.
After about 3 months the regulator failed and it boiled my battery, so was up for a new reg and a new battery.
Recommend buying a quality regulator straight up.
Bought my new reg from RTM in Winnellie.
I've left my 40L engel on all week with this set up, just driving around town.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Similar to Burners, I bought some 180w panels from Egay, and fitted them out with a regulator from Jaycar. Panels and sh..ty chinese regulator were about $220. Do yourself a favour and toss the regulator as soon as you buy the panels. Regulator was about $160 from memory, but they have one much cheaper and IP rated if you are a tightarse.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Has anyone had any experience with the soft panels that you can roll up? I'm looking at one that I can use in my car and boat that is easy to stow.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Castamasta wrote:Hi guys
I wanted opinions on what minimum size solar panel I would need to charge my second battery in my 4wd. I don't usually stop in one spot for too long , so only need a charge every now and then as my fridge will run for atleast a couple of days. Also anyone got any advice on brands or suppliers locally .
Cheers
Gav
Mate I recommend you go with 120's as they are never as efficient as they claim. I had 80 watt panels first and that was OK but couldn't keep up in the end...120 watt seems fine. Ditto on the regulators mate, get something decent and use quality cable as well, the stuff the cheaper units come with is useless. Jump on the My Swag camper trailer forum and check out their electrical section, plenty of quality information in there.
No matter where you go, there you are!
Aydan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Aydan »

120 the go for one fridge but not big enough if you run 2 Engels old man learnt that one up the gibb
Castamasta
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Castamasta »

Just looking at running the one fridge so might go for the 120 and see how that goes , cheers for your input guys
Chipspitter
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chipspitter »

I picked up a near-new 120W fold up-type Projecta brand on Gumtree recently for $110. Brand new, they're about 5-600, so bargains can be had locally if you keep your eye out. I had a quick look this morning and someone is selling a Redarc 150W for $580. Not sure if that is good value, but Redarc are usually a good brand.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Ill be going with a victron solar controller when i do mine after extensive reading.
Shrek16
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Shrek16 »

120w panel with c-tek regulator is the shizzle castamasta!
tight lines
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

140w folding set kept my engel MF40 running no dramas. Got 9 days also running 12v tent fan and Led lighting before I needed to crank. Got the panels the dual battery setup with Redarc isolator, battery, install etc done for $900 in WA from MickeyBlue.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

rumluck wrote:Ill be going with a victron solar controller when i do mine after extensive reading.
I've got 200w folding panels with Victron 15/75 controller. $400 all up runs fridge/camp lights 24/7. Teamed up with a 120a/h agm and you set (and forget.)

Victron has bluetooth adapter so you can use their app to gauge power use/battery conditions - well worth the extra $60.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Tommy222220_0 wrote:
rumluck wrote:Ill be going with a victron solar controller when i do mine after extensive reading.
I've got 200w folding panels with Victron 15/75 controller. $400 all up runs fridge/camp lights 24/7. Teamed up with a 120a/h agm and you set (and forget.)

Victron has bluetooth adapter so you can use their app to gauge power use/battery conditions - well worth the extra $60.

Where'd you get that from Tommy?