Sand Spears

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
lyndon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sand Spears

Post by lyndon »

Howdy

Looking at doing a late trip, sept/oct to Lorella Springs. Heading out to the coast. Can anyone give advise on how to make a sand spear or where best to buy.
Has anyone used them on top end beaches and if so with what results. Especially late in the year.

Thanks

Lyndon

goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Sand Spears

Post by goldfish »

If you're talking hand spears like the ''hawian sling '' yabby spears they sell them at fishing and outdoor world up here in Darwin they also sell a big bamboo version for barra too but its freight might get pricey. Alloy ones are fine for yabbies or muddies and pack up in multiple sections for storage mine is over 20 years old.

Easy enough to make though :

cut a suitable length of bamboo or cypress pine (it floats well )
then 24 araldite the prongs into pre drillied section of the end. Hardwood centre insert will make it more durable if you hit a few rocks.
Use (threaded rod or re bar (with a 3 sided tip) for barra or welding rods or ss off a shopping trolley or oven rack is pretty good for cherabin and redclaw or mudcrabs.
Run a lap of single strand copper wire over them then coat again with more araldite. Varnish it with a few coats and it should last a couple of seasons depending on use and amount of rocks in the area. Bring a file too especially if trying to spear bigger fish as they have to be sharp to be any good. Barra and salmon are the main one's you'd see as well as the odd mud crab shovelnose shark and stingrays.

Remember that you will only be able to spear legal sized fish 55 + if targetting barra ... so get good at estimating size as a 54cm one won't be able to be released after you run a spear through it and could cost you all your gear car, boat and all if you get busted. Spears are probably not allowed in a lot of National Parks either on your lap check 1st to be sure.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I was of the understanding that you couldn't spear barra, that said I can't see anything in the Know Your Limits booklet. https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_fil ... ooklet.pdf

Anyone else know? Is it an old regulation that has quietly been lifted?
lyndon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lyndon »

Oh Dear

Sorry guys. Sand Spear for water. My BAD
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

What the hells a sand spear??????
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Acsle »

Can also use mangrove wood or the hibiscus which grows around the coast (see quite a bit at buff and sandfly creek). These materials do need to be stripped and placed over fire to harden. I've got a few bamboo ones at home. Ill see if their prongs are still in good nic and post a few photos. The Long brothers are the ones to talk to if ya wanting to buy one. I don't have their contact details but surely someone on this forum does.