Recommendations for a mechanic

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Recommendations for a mechanic

Post by RedDevil »

Hi all,
I have a Navara D40 turbo diesel and I'm only getting about 560km from a full tank of 70 litres.
Can anyone recommend any decent mechanics that I could take my car into? I don't know much about cars so preferably somewhere that won't rip me off.
Or has anyone experienced the same kind of problems with their car?
Any help would greatly appreciated.
Cheers

AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Recommendations for a mechanic

Post by AJay »

Rm automotive in yarrawonga are good, honest and good prices. Are the tyres on it standard size or are they larger?
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Leigh at the Nightcliff service centre is good - 8948 3252
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

The only people I go to are either Leigh at Nightcliff Service Centre or Danny Probert at Darwin Auto Mobile Centre in Woolner.

Both excellent blokes and always shoot from the hip. Leight used to work at Danny's shop for years before going out on his own last year. Both have done excellent work and always beat prices from the dealers.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Ajay - Tyres are of standard size.
Roughly what should I be getting? I've been told by others that I should atleast get 650-700kms per tank.
Thanks for the suggestions gents, will give these guys a go..
Definitely wont be going back to the dealer.
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

towing you should be getting about 15L per 100 kms at around 90kph
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Is it blowing smoke ?
Running rich ?
Has it always been bad or has it gradually got worse?
Trev&Tara
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Trev&Tara »

I have the D40 as well. 12.5Lt per 100km sound about the same as what I am getting. That is around town and not on the open road.
Regards
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

That sounds about right. Fit a DP Chip and full exhaust to it and that will help with your fuel and power. They worked a treat on my Triton. All in all I get about 12L/100km in the triton around town. Drops to around 10 on the highway.

Towing my 6m it sits at around 18L/100 at 100kph
balthasar832
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by balthasar832 »

Hello,
I have a 2006 ST-X 2.5L Turbo Diesel and driving around the suburbs and city on my 70L fuel tank I always get 700km.
When I'm doing very long drives and I don't go faster than 110km/h then I get close to 800km's.
Though when I am towing a boat for fishing, this can go down to around 630km's ish. (This would be for going from Casuarina area to Palmo ramp of Truck City ramp)/
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Hasnt been blowing any smoke and has run this way since i bought it 2nd hand with about 40,000k's on her about 2 years ago.

Here lies my problem, depending on who I speak to, its either normal or I have a big problem... Lol

I'm interested in fitting a chip but I have no idea what type, where to get them, where to fit them etc etc (as stated earlier I'm a noob when it comes to cars)
Thanks again for your suggestions
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

If you are in the Palmo area, I recommend Seeing Josh at JJE Mechanical on Taupin Road, Yarrawonga. Good honest bloke who genuinely looks after his client base. Does rego inspections and electrical also. Top bloke who will stick to what you can afford.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Anon
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Anon »

Danny at Darwin Auto Mobile Care is the dealer for DP chips up here. They seem to be the best chip on the market that I could find.
I would say its normal.

Others with the tritons state that they are getting over 800km / tank.
I get between 500-600km/tank. But its auto and most stating they are getting the big klm are Manual. Seems the Auto chews alot more fuel
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

I read on another site that Pecky's are now doing a performance tune (or something) on diesels...as an alternative to a chip...? Danny Probert &Pecky's have both done good performance work for me (on a V8) and my regular servicing etc (Hilux diesel) is at All Rural at Humpty Doo.

Having said that, weigh up the fuel saving against the cost of any mods...a tune on a V8 is $800 minimum and a full exhaust around a grand (so you can expect similar if you start fiddling with your diesel)....that's a lot of diesel dollars. You soon adapt to any performance gains....and so the urge for more mods begins!

You fuel figures don't sound unusual...just get used to sluggish but reliable diesels.
My Giddy Aunt!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Once Bitten wrote:If you are in the Palmo area, I recommend Seeing Josh at JJE Mechanical on Taupin Road, Yarrawonga. Good honest bloke who genuinely looks after his client base. Does rego inspections and electrical also. Top bloke who will stick to what you can afford.
X2 great mechanic at reasonable prices.