Hardies 4WD track fathers day

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Hardies 4WD track fathers day

Post by volkoff »

Heading out Sunday for fathers day. The misses suggested we go some where on a 4wd track. I haven't been on this one yet. Looking for a track with a bit of a challenge and not to far out of darwin. Any suggestions would be great. cheers

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Hardies 4WD track fathers day

Post by mickkk »

It's a bit of a dust ball, and water is pretty low. I would suggest the wild man track. Dit less dusty and it is not open for too long, some years it does not open at all. Do a google search and it should come up with info. If you wanted a big day you could do both, but would be a pretty big day.

Hardies 4wd track is much nicer when they first open it up (although they opened it very late this year and was almost dry and dead) much less dust and nice and green.

Also worth a look in at djukbinj national park on they way back, a few nice billabongs to look at lots of bird life.
Meter Maid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Meter Maid »

The 4WD track to surprise creek in Litchfield park is good one.The river crossing at the Reynolds can be interesting and you can have a swim and BBQ when u get there.Also nice scenery on the trip.Just check with Parks & Wildlife that it is open.There are also several other waterholes and falls u can check out on other tracks.
barratragic
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barratragic »

Hey Meter Maid,

i am keen to do the reynolds track myself... can you tell me a little more about the creek crossing ? how long, how deep ?
can you walk it. .or is it croc laden ... ?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Reynolds river track is open it opened about a month ago (I'm pretty sure may want to check for your self) the crossing is quite firm sandy bottom, it's a bit of a long crossing and you sorta drive up the creek a little. I ave not done it this year yet, but I'm sure it will be low enough by now, they normally don't open it until it is. But I wouldn't attempt it (or any crossing) with out a snorkel.
Meter Maid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Meter Maid »

Haven't done it this year but I did about this time last year u didn't need a snorkel and could walk it easy.Sandy bottom with steep incline at both ends.You need to engage 4WD but its nothing to drastic.Good fun.Suprise creek at the other end is a little oasis.Two little plunge pools one above the other flowing into the main pool underneath.Good day trip and not as crowded as the rest of Litchfield.You can also camp there.
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

Cool thanks guys , I look forward to it.
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Yep i,ll 2nd Renolds. Interesting drive with bonus waterholes!
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

Anyone know the depth of the crossing ATM?
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Closed until u can get a nissan x fail through
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.