Buffalo bow hunting - essential gear

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Buffalo bow hunting - essential gear

Post by Matt Flynn »

Misplace an arrow during a buffalo hunt? Worry no more with the BMUS (Beam Me Up Scotty) Jet Pack!

A must for bow hunters who chase buffs, bears or other dangerous game.

When trouble looms, hit the go button and leave angry game eating your dust :mrgreen:

Darwin nightclubber's version also available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timmo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timmo »

might need an escape the missus and kids version........
TIMMO
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Buggered if id tackle a buff with a bow unless ive got a mate standing next to me with a 458 lott
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, I don't know if bow hunting for such big game is humane - would be interesting to hear the opinions of the bow hunters :catch:

I reckon its best to knock the big ferals down fast with a big gun.

Don't know if I could shoot a bear. Unless it was trying to eat me.
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

G'day Matt,
its humane provided you get a good shot in - same as a rifle... 99% of the time the critter (be it big or small) has no idea its been hit... seen lots of pigs get hit, squeak, then go back to feeding before they fall over. seen some shots get messed up with bows, but seen plenty get stuffed with a rifle too, its all in the hands of the operator..
but love the jetpack concept... might need an escape the boss set too!
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Hmmm . . . interesting subject.
Guess it all comes down to bow hunting ethics . . . . . namely being prepared to put in the leg work and patience to be rewarded with that perfect shot opportunity. And then of course, being good enough to hit precisely the mark required to dispatch the animal quickly. A heart shot will put ANY animal down in very quick time. Which also means knowing the internal anatomy of your target and what angles you need to hit those vitals unobstructed.
As importantly though, it also means being prepared to pass up a potential trophy if that pefect shot opportunity does not present itself, rather than taking a low percentage shot most likely resulting in a slow death and a lot of blood tracking.

My two cents worth anyway . . . . . :mrgreen:

. . . . . . . . failing all of that . . the only 'essential' you'll need is someone with you that you can out run. :naughty: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:
Scotty
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

Matt Flynn wrote: I reckon its best to knock the big ferals down fast with a big gun.

Don't know if I could shoot a bear. Unless it was trying to eat me.
well we all seen how humane and effective the big guns were on some recent buff "CULLS" in arhnemland vids recently :rofl:
All the buff I've taken have been one arra kills and thats the truth :mrgreen:
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Buffalo bow hunting - essential gear

Post by Camfish »

i'd rather a chunk of led pass threw me than a Broadhead/shaft/blazers or feathers
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

i'd rather a chunk of led pass threw me than a Broadhead/shaft/blazers or feathers
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Bow is very efective on all game if in the right hand
I have seen buffalo shot with a bow that dont even know they are shot
Double lunged with razor sharp broard d heads while feeding,lift their head as the arrow passes through and go back to feeding then fall over dead
If you have ever cut yourself with a scalple you would know you feel little to no pain
Much the same with a shaving sharp broard head
The animal bleeds out in no pain
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

Its always good practice to have a back up person with a suitable calibre rifle ,to finish off if the bow hunter doesn't quite get it right .
Pretty hard to fend off an enraged buff with a bow.
As far a humane goes , its been said in previous posts .

Most contract shooters doing feral animal control generally are armed with semi auto military type rifles and use the 7.62mm (308 in civi lingo) FMJ ammo because its cheap .
I once heard the figures from a big chopper shoot in Kakadu a few years ago ,they averaged seven rounds per animal , no mention if the animal died or not ,I suspect that some would have suffered for quite a while before checking out.

I prefer much heavier calibres for sport hunting , my personal minimum is 375 H&H .

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
deano
Seadog
Seadog

Post by deano »

big guns are for those that cant shoot straight :fishing:
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

deano wrote:big guns are for those that cant shoot straight :fishing:

Bullshit
Kev.
Deigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Deigs »

have only shot one buff and it was with a 458 win mag dropped it with one and finished it with a second wouldn't be targeting big buff with anything smaller then a 338 yes people use 308, 7mm,, 30-06,but smallest i would is 338 even 375 i dont have the patiance for bow hunting and every joint in my body cracks when i to to sneak up on things
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

Deigs wrote:have only shot one buff and it was with a 458 win mag dropped it with one and finished it with a second wouldn't be targeting big buff with anything smaller then a 338 yes people use 308, 7mm,, 30-06,but smallest i would is 338 even 375 i dont have the patience for bow hunting and every joint in my body cracks when i to to sneak up on things

Mine too ,arthritis has got to me , well past hunting buff these days,especially on foot , half a life time ago it was open slather , favourite calibres were the 375H&H hand loaded with 300gn projectiles .Had some spectacular frontal head shots with the 300gn solids.
500 3" Express Double Rifle 410gn round soft nose .

375 H&H is long gone and now lives in Darwin ,still have the 500, that will be passed onto my Son when I depart along with a few others
Have owned a lot of big game calibres over the years , but my favourites are the two above.