Honda 40 hp

Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Honda 40 hp

Post by Sullo »

After going through 3 yammy 40 hp 4st , got told i had to go on a waiting list for a new one (6 to 8 weeks) and still might not get one from the next shipment. Putting a new Honda 40 hp on today,any thoughts on Hondas :cheers:

stroma
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Honda 40 hp

Post by stroma »

I have always been a Yamaha man, however I did have a Honda 40 for a number of years (10 yrs plus). It was a good reliable motor. Two areas did need some corrosion prevention however. The first was the trim ram housing that would benefit from regular applications of your preferred rust preventative. The other issue was that the cowling cover didn’t seem to be as watertight as Yamaha cowlings with regular salt buildup on the back of the motor after each trip in big seas. Regular checking and washing was needed. Honda may have improved this situation in recent years.
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Thanks stroma , will keep onto it.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Got a 40 on the work boat. One of the most neglected and unloved motors I’ve seen and still belts it it out like a new one with the only TLC being an added water separator and on it’s 3rd prop. Also saw 2 at the dealers that were purchased 3 years prior for remote work and had come in for the first service, barnacles and all and never had the oil checked nor a spark plug change.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Wow, they sound like tough units! I've heard the big hondas are pretty unbreakable but heavy
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Cheers Guys,can only see how it goes.A pro crabber here has 1400hrs on his 40hp honda,said it has never been washed out.
I've put a few hours doing the break in,power and speed about the same as the yammy's

Got a couple of fish looking for a jewie and used the frames for a couple of crabs today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.