DMAX/Colorado 4JJ1 diesel issue

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

DMAX/Colorado 4JJ1 diesel issue

Post by theodosius »

Hi guys,

Enginr started fine this morning. As I pulled in to work, the svs light came on. Pulled over and parked. Turned the engine off. Then tried to turn it on again. Cranks strongly but won't start. I left it for a few hours, and when I came back it started fine. Turned it off again, tried to start again, but same issue as before. Any ideas?

Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: DMAX/Colorado 4JJ1 diesel issue

Post by Sweaty »

Could be a number of issues causing that but for some reason I'm thinking a sensor.. Will need a scan gauge to find exactly what one not like the older cars thay you actually had to work it out yourself..
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Thanks
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Petrol mate ???
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

olfart wrote:Petrol mate ???
oops. Dyselexia strikes again.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Sounds like your crank-angle senor is dirty and getting hot. It's down the front of the engine right near the crank pulley. Will have wiring coming from a connector. unplug and unbolt the housing of the sensor from the block. Give it a good clean up with metho, and whack it back in, connect the plug up and go for a drive, if it still does it, get a new sensor.
If you need give me a call 0439078594. :mrgreen:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Diesel
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Turned out to be a faulty sensor. Replaced and reading correctly. Thanks Olfart
Geedog

Post by Geedog »

Hi Jedi ,
It’s an old topic but just wondering if you can remebe’r which sensor was faulty on your 4jj1 as mine havin/g the same issues. Cheers
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Sorry, no. Pretty sure it was dead cheap to replace though
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

The exhaust return valve went on mine, easy to replace. Have replaced all sensors except crank angle. Mine is an old DMAX/Rodeo.

New air cleaner usually adds a bit of life, as we live on a dirt road.

Had a lot of trouble with a belt squealing despite having alternator out as far as it would go, so I ground out the swing arm thingy on the alternator, which gave it an extra few mm play to further tighten the belt. Problem solved.
Geedog

Post by Geedog »

Mine started out the same as jedis,drove it stopped then tried to restart it straight after I turned it off but no start just crank, then an hour later started again .went like this for a day or two and no start now.svs light came on but was running ok when it was running.can start it up with start ya bastard for a few sec.changed glow plugs cleaned all sensors,but no codes.orderd a Foxwell 310pro to check for bcm codes as my little one checks only ecm .first when started to play up got a maf sensor code.cleaned it with maf cleaner but no code since.thinking about to replace maf anyway.
Mat is your rodeo has the same engine 4jj1? Might check that valve out tomorrow.should be easy as ended up buying a full workshop manual 6000+ pages for dmax/Colorado/rodeo.
If anyone needs a copy can arrange it onto a memo stick
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, same motor.

Look at that exhaust return valve while someone operates the throttle.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

MAP sensor springs to mind
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

mass air flow sensor ????
or scv valve maybe ???
bought a scan gauge of ebay a couple of months ago live reading on the dash and warning for fault also can clear faults
pretty user friendly about 100 bucks

Cheers