Insurance Coverage

Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Insurance Coverage

Post by Makrel »

Just giving a quick update on my insurance claim arising from a fire on my boat resulting in total loss. I have mentioned this event in other posts.

Well I was insured with Club Marine and they have paid out in full today - the process took just on 1 month and involved fire investigators being flown up here, so I guess this delayed things a bit.

I am happy with this result and time frame, and I guess this is why I chose Club Marine in the first place.

I was concerned about how much they would pay as the boat was covered as an agreed market value. I thought they would try and low ball me saying the boat had depreciated over the 1 year I owned it. But to their credit they did not.

I have heard people talk of a replacement "like of like" policy - but I have not seen this form of policy relate to boats.

Finally, just a heads up on what this sort of event will cost you.

I had the boat insured for the full purchase value plus $12,000 for add-ons (electrics and the like). For me to replace the boat today (14 months after purchase) and equip it the same, I estimate I will be $20,000 out of pocket as prices have gone up.

Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Insurance Coverage

Post by Swoffa »

Good result.

Hope you get a replacement boat and get back on the water quickly.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Good outcome Makrel. It's just unfortunate that the market has shifted since you purchased.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I recently had to make a claim through Club marine (around 10K) and I found them really good. Would recommend them thoroughly from my experience.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good outcome
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Club marine are the go . I havn't had to make a claim but have never heard
any mates complain that have.

Also like the Agreed value , got an extra few $$$$$ on mine to cover nick nacks and such.

Hope you get back on the water soon , thanks for the update :mrgreen:
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Did you have to get your boat jeffish, of was your boat near new when you purchased it? Want to get agreed value on mine, but as it was older than a few years the only way I could get it was to get it valued by a certified boat dealer.
It was only hen I pushed them on the issue did they tell me the pocially they were trying to sell me was not actually agreed value. They encourage you to up it as much as you can on the agreed * (or market value, which ever is less) butcould not tell me what my boat would be covered for if there was a total loss.
bl..dy p...ed me off
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

its either agreed OR market value. they will estimate the value so they can determine the premimum but thas it.
ive got one on atm with Club M when they kicked the doors in and ransacked my stuff. even pinched an epirb - no use to them because its registered

on a side issue, just had the cops call me about a breakin when they pinched 2 x cars from the school. they got finger prints fron outside near the door handle but the cops wont touch it 'because anyone could have done that' when they walked past.

sad days indeed.