Fuel use in L/km- what do I need to set this up?

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fuel use in L/km- what do I need to set this up?

Post by theodosius »

Hi, I have a 2010 Yamaha F80 and a Lowrance HDS10. What would I need to buy to be able to see my engine's fuel usage (preferably in l/km? Cheers!

Jack

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fuel use in L/km- what do I need to set this up?

Post by nomad »

Invest in a computer program called GOOGLE.
It works in a similar manner to this forum except that you type in the same words and you get an instant answer :twisted:
here's one i prepared earlier

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... olutePage=
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Thanks Nomad, I asked because I was confused by all the options. Where would this module plug in to? NMEA or a gauge? If it plugs into a proprietary gauge then thats another big cost.
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

basically if you dont have any gauges already a $220 (on ebay) lowrance/yamaha interface cable connects under the cowling and to the nmea port on your sounder. Youll then be able to see the temp, rpm, engine hours, FUEL RATE and alternator voltage.

If you do have yamaha guages youd need a different cable that loops from the guages to the sounder to see the above parameters..

IOBM will have them in stock id reckon.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Rumluck. Now do I spend 250 on this or just buy 230L more fuel?
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Mate I use the NMEA2000 for my setup (Suzuki 175 and a hds12) and it provides all of that info. Easy to install and accurate.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Yeah, looks like Yamaha has a proprietary connector so the cable is pretty expensive
Hayzie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hayzie »

If the motor is after 2009 it can be done with a Yamaha engine interface cable this will give RPM, Alternator Voltage, Engine Hours, Engine Temperature, Fuel Pressure, Fuel Rate, Oil Pressure, And Water Pressure. If you want to do fuel totals this will require a Fuel Data Manager Monitors Fuel Rate/Fuel Flow from NMEA 2000 engines, and accumulates Fuel Rate into Fuel Used. Outputs seasonal, trip and total fuel used. If there is no existing network you will also need a NMEA2K starter kit. IOM has them in stock at the moment but there is a few variables give them a call on 89240220 and we can quote what you need for what you want to do
Does The Job!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Hayzie. Might have spoken to you today ordering trailer parts. Yeah, motor is 2010 but I have no nmea network. Probably better off using the $ on fuel.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Have you got room for another small sounder? I get my fuel flow from a circa 2004 Navman gps which has a fuel transducer cabled into the fuel line, people say they are poop and bag them, however its always accurate to less than 1% difference on a tank fuel when compared to the bowser. I see them on ebay regularly quite cheap, I even bought a spare transducer last year for about fifteen bucks in case mine ever crapped itself.

I have a suzuki, and even after making up my own cable from the engine to the lowrance gauge it was still going to cost me about $500 in gauges and nmea kits...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Not a bad idea!
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Sorry to steal this thread but its related I have a honda 90DF and only have a tacho gauge and have an speedo gauge which doesnt suit motor, what do I need to get to upgrade fuel, hrs, speed, etc would be great, any advice appreciated, it all gives me a sore head!

beers involved for telling me exactly what I need, I should be able to install with good instructions, I hope lol!

Cheers Craig
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

What year is the Honda Craig? What model sounder? I've done all my research on 2006 Suzuki and later, but the Honda cant be much different.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Craig, looks like you need a cable to NMEA2000, perhaps part no 06328-ZZ3-730HE, (about $100US) and a nmea cable kit ($70AU) to connect to a NMEA2000 compatible sounder.

Dont know if you can still run your analogue gauges at the same time, Honda isn't my forte.... I know on the Suzuki you can run the nmea output from the engine diagnostics port and run the analogue gauges at the same time. I'd do this myself but the legacy Humminbird sounders I run have rubbish engine management display. I'd have done it ages ago if i had Lowrance or Humminbird Onix.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

craig.g wrote:Sorry to steal this thread but its related I have a honda 90DF and only have a tacho gauge and have an speedo gauge which doesnt suit motor, what do I need to get to upgrade fuel, hrs, speed, etc would be great, any advice appreciated, it all gives me a sore head!

beers involved for telling me exactly what I need, I should be able to install with good instructions, I hope lol!

Cheers Craig
Hi
i bought the cable for my honda 75 and of course the 75 and 150 are the only ones that it doesnt work on.
cost me about $700 but is of no use to me.
$100 if you want it (but have a sneaking suspicion that the 75 and 90 are the same)