Any Suzuki experts in here? - IAC Valve questions

jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Any Suzuki experts in here? - IAC Valve questions

Post by jabsy »

Hello all,

Went out for a fish last night, idled down to anchor up, floated around for a while, and the engine stopped. Left it off for a minute while I fluffed around with other things, and restarted it. It took maybe 2 secs to fire (usually 1 second) and we were off again. Was a little concerned that it just stopped, but there were no warning lights or anything.

Anyway decided to have a troll for barras instead of anchoring up, motored over to the spot, but the engine stalled again when I slowed down to idle. Keyed it on again, this time the buzzer was beeping, and the "check engine" light was flashing in a 3-1 sequence. Temp and oil was all good, so I got it started and motored back to the ramp at 1500rpm (just in case). made it to within 50m before it just wouldn't idle any more.

Googled the lamp codes last night, hooked it up to the SDS computer this morning, its a faulty IAC Valve, which after reading up on explained why it wouldn't idle. The unit is either blocked, or its rooted. I chased the part up on the interwebs, I can get an aftermarket part delivered from Japan for about $130, a genuine Suzuki part from the USA for about $480, or chase one up locally. History tells me the local one will be over a grand including fitting.

I have two questions:

The aftermarket part seems too good to be true. Is it?
There's a possibility it has a blockage, has anyone had any experience with them?

Is it something thats easy to fit myself? It looks to be, I dont mind doing my own annual service and maintenance, but i dont want to pull this thing apart and find its like a swiss watch to put back together.

Thanks.

sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Any Suzuki experts in here? - IAC Valve questions

Post by sharkbait »

I had a quick google search and found this on a boating forum, http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... -help.html

Hopefully that helps.

Just remember to use Mass Air Flow (MAF) cleaner, normal carby cleaner will be too harsh.

Seems to be a common problem with Suzuki outboards.

Edit : I just re read the post and it's from a 2002, but it might shed some light on the problem for you.
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

mate...had exactly the same problem with my 2007 df150 3-1 code..
ordered part from the us via ebay for $27us shipped...apparently the iac valve is the same p/n as a suzuki vitara dont get ripped off by local robbers.
fitted mine and havent had a problem....a little difficult to remove on the 150.
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

mate...had exactly the same problem with my 2007 df150 3-1 code..
ordered part from the us via ebay for $27us shipped...apparently the iac valve is the same p/n as a suzuki vitara dont get ripped off by local robbers.
fitted mine and havent had a problem....a little difficult to remove on the 150.
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

the iac valve is 2 stepper motors.....if u have a multimeter u can measure each coil
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Thanks Mopinox and Sharkbait. I might give it a clean first, and I've been thinking all day about the clone part. I wouldn't think twice using non-genuine parts on my cars, but the boat is a little different. However I can get nearly 3 of the clone parts for the price of one of the genuines.

$27 shipped is pretty good, the $170 i saw was just one part out of the USA, but apparently made in Japan...
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

parts are good mate....dont stress about it was little hesitant at the start but after a little research found out it was the same p/n as the genuine suzy part...just not in a suzuki box.
I'm quite sure when u pull it out you will find that it clean ....i'd say 1 of the coils has gone open circuit ...as i said if u have multimeter u can measure it using the ohms setting...ill give ya a pm
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

parts are good mate....dont stress about it was little hesitant at the start but after a little research found out it was the same p/n as the genuine suzy part...just not in a suzuki box.
I'm quite sure when u pull it out you will find that it clean ....i'd say 1 of the coils has gone open circuit ...as i said if u have multimeter u can measure it using the ohms setting...ill give ya a pm
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

sorry for the double post...not sure whats going on!!
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Thanks Mopinox, I just found one in sydney for around $50 delivered, listed to suit a Mitsubishi Pajero of all things. I read a post on Ausfish which said they were the same.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showth ... ost-fiasco
Twenty-Three Bucks from China if I could be bothered waiting...

The manual gives the voltage for the coils to MM test out but for that price I will just swap it out and not bother with the clean, a can of CRC MAF Cleaner is $27 at supercrap...
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

dont waste youre time just replace.....
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Thanks for your help guys, ordered the part from Sydney Monday, arrived Thursday, fitted it this morning. A bit of a dick to get to, but swapped it out, plugged in the computer and ran it on the muffs and it all looks good. Just need to get it out on the water for a hammering.

The old one had some space in the spring, its supposed to be tight. Had to go all McGyver on an old el-cheapo screwdriver to save having to remove the flywheel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

Got to love fixing things yourself! I would hate to imagine what a dealer would of charged you.
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

glad it worked out...heaps cheaper than going local was quote $480 for the part plus fitting.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

Just an update, it was nice saving the money, but the el-cheapo aftermarket replacement went last Monday when I was down at the Daly. So I ended up with a year out of it... At least this time I knew it would be fine to drive at above 1000 RPM, so full biccies all the way from the main rockbar back to Banyan Farm.

Someone was in town, so I rang Frenchys, had a genuine part in stock. $525 later I was back on the water next morning.

Need to do some research as to why it went. Dont want this one lasting only a year for that price..