winch cable

max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

winch cable

Post by max »

if anyone is after a new boat winch cable give em a ring at the Yacht shop they knock up stainless ones there I picked mine up today 5.5 mtrs 4 mm which is rated for a good ton and will last for yonks it was around 32 bucks I think

Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Just a warning on those cast stainless winch hook's i've seen 2 of those break off where the cable is swaged on and one of them broke while retreving a 14ft boat so it was'nt under much pressure at all.

Dan.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Stainless wire rope is not the best option for your winch cable. The normal construction of 7 x 19 is too stiff and it work hardens real quick, if you don't keep it under constant tension you'll have hells own troubles with it. By far and away the best rope to put on a boat winch is synthetic Dyneema rope; 10 times as strong as any steel rope you'll find without the sharp bits!. If you want to stick with wire rope, something in the galvanised 6 x 24 fibre core is the way to go......won't work harden, fibre core keeps it well lubricated and it's as flexible as play dough.

For anyone sold on the stainless..........I have one here..........it's yours for gratis if you want it.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great info blinky :mrgreen:

I use seatbelt strap material - seems to work OK, and never rusts. Never was happy with my old galvanised cable, it was always pinching and bunching, yuk.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Matt Flynn wrote:Great info blinky :mrgreen:

I use seatbelt strap material - seems to work OK, and never rusts. Never was happy with my old galvanised cable, it was always pinching and bunching, yuk.
Yep, the webbing strap is the next cab off the rank Matt. I like the Dyneema cause I can get it at the "right" price.
But you're right, steel wire rope has knobs on it!
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
tatie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tatie »

Blinky wrote:...I like the Dyneema cause I can get it at the "right" price....
for anybody who doesnt know.. if you cant get blinky's 'right price', dyneema will cost a small fortune compared to the steel stuff...
Daisy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Daisy »

You should be able to buy ready made ones from your local tackle and chandlery shop for 25 - 30 bucks. Don't trust the splice at the hook end but, I cut it of and tied a bowline and locked it off with a half hitch. I think this was made of Kevlar?
Happiness is having fishy fingers with a stiff rod in your hand!!!
The view expressed in this post is that of a self opinionated bullshitter and does not reflect that of the website owner, it's operators or anyone else for that matter.
Dave M
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave M »

I've used all three and even at a higher premium the Dyneema was/is by far the best “Valueâ€Â
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Eventual they all deteriorate and break but at least the polyethylene rope is easiest to rejoin in those out of the way places.
As long as you have a bit to spare I think you can tie a knot in the webbing in an emergency. Or just use some anchor rope.