Coxswains?

jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Coxswains?

Post by jonesy »

Must be a few of you on here who have done it? Is it hard to get or is everything covered in the training? Someone like me who is virtually mechanically retarded,would I have problems passing?

Thanks

bandit

Post by bandit »

hey jonesy, yeh mate i did it in january. Its pretty full on course, abit harder than i expected. it covers alot of material. but id say it was relativly easy. i read in ur blog u did a uni degree so you should find it no worries :mrgreen: it does pay to do abit of study every night. there a few diagrams you need to memorise, like a free standing fuel tank, diesel fuel system, battery configurations, cyclone diagram. I did find the whole thing interesting and very insightful. I enjoyed the navigation part, prob found stability the hardest.

the course is made up a few components over 4 weeks.

* 2 weeks on coxsawin it self;

* 4 days on engineering

* 2 days radio

* and 4 days ESS(shipboard safety) if you havnt already done it, (i did mine a year earlier for equinox) - which gives you senior first aid, firefighting ticket and survial at sea.

* an exam

* then an oral at marine branch on the whole thing..

you can also do it in parts if u got work comitments ect, like i did the engineering, then week later radio, then next month the other 2 weeks on coxswain.
I got all the books, small ships manuel, radio book, flash cards, and a heap of notes i could lend you if you need it. if you got any other questions just ask, i did it only recently so its all pretty fresh hey! and if i think of anything else ill post it up here. hope that helps!

cheers :drinking1:
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Ripper info bandit :cheers: .
If I decide to do it I'll definately be in touch for some tips. If I do it won't be until the June one. Depends if I have the money to afford to have another month off work.

P.S- Did you say study each night.... :bonk: ...meh,last night cram and she'll be right :wink:
bandit

Post by bandit »

no worries mate :drinking1:

to be honest i didnt study every night. it does pay to go over things tho. i learnt the diagrams by just drawing them over and over til it was set in..

hey ive past all my uni exams by craming :lolpoint:

Return to “Boating & Driving Tips”