Boat manners

Silver Sovereign
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Boat manners

Post by Silver Sovereign »

Howdy,

I know I am new at this boating stuff :grin: But is it not rude for someone to come full speed within 15 metres, and start flicking lures around as you are not there :shock:

If the boat wash and scaring the fish away was not bad enough he only stayed for about 2 minutes and then roared off again at full throttle :fubird: the fish didnt return after that so I gave up.

I know when I used to surf we ( locals )were protective of surf breaks :surf: At first I thought maybe he was a tourist but his boat was not registered so it had to be a local :evil:

Any one have any luck today, I only saw a few small salmon and travally cruising around Catalinas.

Cheers Silver

If I had a quirky signature it would be here !
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Yes that counts as rude :evil:
Regards Dick
George
Seadog
Seadog

Post by George »

Yea there seems to be alot of those sort of people around here, espscially around boat ramps.

I went out and fished the six mile grounds on the low today for not much return. Unsure what has turned the fish off the bite. Going to try something different tomorrow though.

Cheers
Custom Plate Boats
Boat modifications
Trailer and repairs

http://www.fishingterritory.com
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

sounds like a purist :naughty: a live baiter :angel: wouldnt do that to his fellow fisho :rofl:
From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

.......................... you shoud've put six inch nilsy's on and had casting practice at there boat

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

:hunting:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Good time to hang yer bum over the side and have a number 2. Works for me. Turns everyone off. :shock:

I have shamed and embarrassed the Flynster many times with the old float mine trick. That's why he carries a pillow case to put over his head.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Welcome to weekend fishing in Darwin harbour.... very poor form from the other boat... :evil:

Lucky it was you and not me as I would have got out the slingshot and give it to them :hunting: :hunting: or at least a verbal tirate .... :angel:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gold Can »

always pays to have a couple of spare 12oz snapper leads handy
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
Silver Sovereign
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Silver Sovereign »

It's good to know I am not being paranoid :rofl:

I had to tone down my anger I had the wife and her friend in the boat with me :bonk:

For once the catching a fish prospects looked good till that clown showed up :evil:

Thanks guys next time I will put on heaps of fenders and give a ram :fu:

Catch ya later Silver
If I had a quirky signature it would be here !
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

spud gun

Post by Matt Flynn »

Install a spud gun on your boat! Maybe it's time for a FFF spud gun making seminar :mrgreen:

And we could have an extra lesson on how to make hollow point spuds!

A hollow point spud makes a terrible mash if you hit someone :grin:

Hmmm, maybe this is a bad idea from a liability point of view ... please forget I even said it :cheers:
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

I found that it started to be very common practise around the mid-late 80's, and I'm sure carried on by many on this forum, to have no bones about pulling up along side a boat already fishing a creek mouth, run-off, hole, wreck, etc.

It's the reason I no longer fish Daley, South Alligator/Shadey at run-off time, Shoal Bay on weekends, etc.

I was under the impression that it was actively promoted by certain 'media identities/fishing gurus' these days, and their followers were quite oblivious to what I would call fishing etiquette.

Remember well an incident back in the 80's when a now 'famous' media fisho saw my mate doing battle with a decent fish at a creek mouth (we'd already landed several others - it was 'going-off'), and pulled up to within ten meters of us & started filming. By the time the fish was landed, another 2 boats had pulled up, and they were all (at the delight of the journo) flicking lures madly around. We were appalled (this didn't happen in those days.) Saw the footage a few years later, and was amazed at the voice over basically encouraging the 'comradre & tolerance' of fisherman to share an area - good for the industry, tourism, blah, blah, blah ..... what a lot of :bs:

Happens continually on the harbour wrecks these days.

To this day, if I have a particular spot planned for the day, and get there to find another crew already in the area, I'll move on (albeit cursing under my breath :evil: ).

I'd sooner catch no fish, & have a day of solitude, than catch a fish every cast at a pumping run-off with another 6 boats crowded around the same spot. If I want to be around a mob, I'll spend the day at Cas Square, go the footy, or whatever - I thought we went fishing to get away from it all :???:

So ends the Epistle :twisted:
BarraMack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BarraMack »

Good post Slug. :applause:
The problem is only going to get worse - increasing population = more boats, more inconsiderate idiots...
I am fishing the weekends less and less these days - why put up with hassles and agro at the boat ramp and wall-to-wall boats at popular spots? I take a day off work, and practically have the place to myself. I don't mind if I only fish twice a month or less, the reduced stress is worth it.
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

I had to give you some karma slug. I am with you but have been guilty of dropping in on another boat once but giving him plenty of room, he couldn't reach us with his lure. Making it worse he was anchored in the obvious spot to cast and we had caught a heap there the day before. I had planned to tell him he needed to move out of the zone casting into it not on top of it but as soon as we dropped anchor there were threats of a shotgun and holes shot in my boat. I tried to explain but no luck , was pursuaded to move :naughty: the guy abusing me managed to hook his mate in the face with a six inch nilsy! To me karma :fu: a polite do you mind moving mate would have been no prob. NIKO
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

I had to give you some karma slug. I am with you but have been guilty of dropping in on another boat once but giving him plenty of room, he couldn't reach us with his lure. Making it worse he was anchored in the obvious spot to cast and we had caught a heap there the day before. I had planned to tell him he needed to move out of the zone casting into it not on top of it but as soon as we dropped anchor there were threats of a shotgun and holes shot in my boat. I tried to explain but no luck , was pursuaded to move :naughty: the guy abusing me managed to hook his mate in the face with a six inch nilsy! To me karma :fu: a polite do you mind moving mate would have been no prob. NIKO
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

Thats not valid NIKO, the fact remains you shouldnt have been there and cos you u were, (in my book anyway) the bloke there first is quite within his rights to request that you move in anyway, shape, shotgun or sinker...

I mean lets say you're fishing a hole you've sounded out, been there before or not, fishing away, boated a couple, some guy pulls up throws anchor within 10 metres and tells you you're in the wrong spot and you should move and get out of his way???? And you're offended by the reaction you got? Yes NIKO karma to you, be it positive or negative though is the question. :???: :???:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........