Mixed bag from Dundee

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mixed bag from Dundee

Post by trent »

With good weather reports headed to Dundee Thursday for an overnight trip, launched at the ramp no issues thanks to Hot Tuna organising for someone to drive the ute, headed west stopping off at marks along the way picking up some nice trout and trickies, while heading between marks chased down some tuna schools and landed some mack tuna for bait,got snipped off twice so the odd mackeral are starting to show up as well, next drop was tuskfish and trout, spent a lot of time going to marks that i had never fished which produced the odd good fish and some not so good,hooked a big dog shark that i got to the suface and cut free so moved on about 5km to another spot, landed a nice trout and within 10 minutes another dog shark starts circling the boat, not sure if it was the same one but he took a liking to the electric so left there and and headed south to try for a jew, cut up the tuna and didnt have to wait too long as the tide started to slow they came on the bite, landed the first one and while taking a picture the other rod goes off, this was another nice jew but got nailed at the back of the boat and was left with a head,after that i waited for a bit before dropping another bait down and instantly hooked up again to another, not big jewies but prime for fish curry, it was just on dark and the wind had dropped right out i headed back to blaze for the night, small goldies were about so packed up the rods and rolled out the swag, woke to another flat calm ocean and headed to the Finniss a river for some reason i had never been to,plenty of water and some marks off google earth of the channel had me entering the mouth without any dramas, trolled up the river over the rockbars marking the odd good fish along the way, buit no luck as the tide turned i trolled towards the mouth where a nice eddy was forming with plenty of mullet, cast vibes, bombers and everything else but not a touch, out with the cast net a after two casts had about 20 good baits, rerigged the spin rods and straight away the barra were all over the livies, landed 8 barra the biggest was 75cm as the tide dropped,once the tide started to slow the barra moved on and the black mottled Powertail moved in, time to troll and headed along the channel marking good fish as the tide started to pour back over the flats but as the afternoon sea breeze picked up it dirtied up the channel, once the tide was high enough i made the run back to the ramp pulling the boat up on the sand, reversing the ute down and retreive the boat without any issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mixed bag from Dundee

Post by Lats »

bl..dy great trip mate. Not too many places around oz where you could get a mixed bag like that
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great yarn, all that variety in one trip.

Those tawny nurse sharks must be like a carpet on the bottom in northern waters.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Top effort Trent , gota love Dundee always something on offer :catch: :mrgreen:
tangels
Seadog
Seadog

Post by tangels »

Well done mate good mixed bag.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Ahhhhh...variety...the Spice of Life!:) well done!
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Excellent trip...pelagics...reefies...and barra!...what more could you ask for :D .
MR126
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MR126 »

Great work Trent
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Ya got to be happy with that effort. Well done Trent
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great trip mate, well done.
Eman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Eman »

Good job mate some great fish there.