Leaders to Ruby and back again

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Leaders to Ruby and back again

Post by RedDevil »

Trip started off bad with the rain pouring down while loading the boat. Quick check with the deckies and all were still keen so we continued as planned. Got to Leaders ramp at 4am and the rain had stopped 8) First stop, the artificial reefs out the front of adelaide river mouth. Not long after dropping baits down I was on, first jewie in the esky. Then one of the deckies pulled one over, and then another! After an hour or so we had four jewies in the esky over a metre each, while also losing another 5 or so that were just unstoppable. Once the sun started rising they just all of a sudden went off the bite. The water looked absolutely glass so decision was made to head around Cape Hotham and towards Ruby for some snappers. Moved around a bit but eventually found them and bagged out on some really good sized snappers - first trip ever we had to leave the fish biting! Was still only 11am but as we had our esky full of good fish so we decided to head back into Leaders. On the way back past the artificial reef there were about 6 boats anchored. We decided to hang around for a bit to see if anyone pulled anything in. Well after 30 minutes and only seeing sharks being pulled in, we headed back to the ramp. Ive found the same thing at the dundee artificial reef, the jewies only bite in the dark - well for me anyway. Anyone else ever caught them off these reefs during sunlight?

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Leaders to Ruby and back again

Post by Matt Flynn »

Always been better at night for jewies, but they are caught in the day, especially turn of big tides when water is dirty.

Caught a big one in daylight on a huge maribou jig at Shady Jew Reef years ago, I only dropped the jig down as a joke, it was like a white musket ball with feathers tied on, more likely to knock a fish out than get eaten.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Great trip! I went out there once in amazing glass out conditions in the dry and got nothing but sharks
The tip of Hotham was so flat the boat wasn't even moving
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, sounds like existing night fishing plan needs no adjustment ....