Beginnings of a Blog FAQ

Here's the place to get the latest information about the Fish Finder Blogs, as well as to request blog specific help.
MidnightCoder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Beginnings of a Blog FAQ

Post by MidnightCoder »

Question: "How do I get to my dashboard? I've lost my login link!"

Answer: There's a few ways you can do this. You can go to the homepage of your blog, and add /wp-admin/ to the end of the url. You can go to the home blog at http://fishingterritory.com/blogs/ and login, then click "My Sites" and switch to your dashboard with the "backend" link. And you can (and should) add the Meta widget to your own blog's sidebar so that you can easily log back in in future.

Question: "I can see other people's dashboards! Help?"

Answer: This is perfectly normal. Each user blog is basically autonomous. What you will notice is, on blogs that aren't yours which you're a member of, your role will be that of "Subscriber" not "Administrator". So you can see their dashboard, but only the portion of it where you can edit your profile, or change which of "My Sites" you're visiting.

Every time you leave a comment on someone else's blog, you will be added to that blog as a subscriber. That's why you have limited access to their dash. Nothing to worry about, and generally there's no need to visit their dashboard at all.

Question: "I'm having a problem with [somethemename] theme. What should I do?"

Answer: Please add the name of the theme to the themes topic in this forum, if it's not already mentioned. A brief summary of what the problem is would help too. I won't have time to edit every broken theme that turns up, chances are they will just be removed and new themes added in their place. There's thousands of free WordPress themes we can use, but not all have been updated by their authors to work with WordPress 3 yet.

Question: "I found a theme for WordPress on [somesite] and would really like to use it, is that possible?"

Answer: Yes! Probably... Just post about it somewhere in this forum, a new topic is fine, and I'll try to add it for you. Free themes only. I don't want to start using illicit copies of paid themes here. Adding new themes is of course at our discretion, but we'll do our best to accommodate you. :)

Question: "I still have more questions!"

Answer: Great, just post them here. I'm happy to help you get started. Please try to limit help requests by PM to things you think are serious bugs or potential security issues. It's better to use the forum so that other users can see the Q&A, and maybe sort their own issues out themselves.

Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Re: Beginnings of a Blog FAQ

Post by Dingo »

Hey Midnight Coder, I have just updated my blog, it would be good if they would come up in the recent posts section on the RHS so people know that you have updated them. Rather than sticking a post somewhere else to a link as people dont really look at the blogs too much.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Will create something along those lines soon Dingo
MidnightCoder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MidnightCoder »

Aye, that's already done and ready to implement. Not much point having a big block for recent blog posts when there were no blogs eh? It'll be added soon, just waiting for a couple more signups on it.