Harbour mixed bag

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Harbour mixed bag

Post by Gibbsy »

So with all the trailer repairs done and a break in the weather decided to head over to a usual haunt of mine at west arm last Saturday. Rocked up to Dinah ramp around 7am with nice flat seas.
Got in fairly quick with only one other boat in front of us.

Made a quick run over to mandorah way to see if any of the local Queenie's were about to no avail. We only managed a very small Mack straight up. With the tide dropping made the call to run up west arm. Hit my usual two creeks for the outgoing for zilch. Not much bait and no predatory fish feeding. Decided to look at another creek we had checked out in the past but never done any good in. First few drains managed a small grunter and small Goldie flicking zmans. The. Rolled up to a nice looking drain day dreaming as I was rolling my zman across it, about to pull zman out of the water when I was awoken by a loud boof boatside.
Immediately rod loaded, fish ran under the boat and around leccy.
Quick bit of rod work and netted a nice silver harbour Baz measuring 67cm.

With how close the morning had been made the call to leave west arm in search of some pelagics around 6mile around lunchtime then end back at East arm for the push of the incoming. Well as we made it to 6mile the water looked great. Quick discussion with the declines and the call was made to make a quick run for the rig out in South gutter instead. Conditions were good. Made for a nice ride out there.

Arrived and a few boats already underneath jigging and bottom bashing. Quick sound around and we managed to find some nice arches. Started dropping metals on them and got tea leaf trevally one after another. With the sun high didn't expect any mackerel action and was only out there to give the declines Abit of fun jigging. After the 6th tea leaf had come boat side, the next drop I did got chopped on the way up. With a good long run straight up, I knew it wasn't another trevally. After a quick few minutes tussle, had a nice size Spanish boat side and in the net. Wacked it on the mat and measured a nice 102cm to the inside of the fork and 110cm to the tip. After that fish decided to make the run back to the ramp. Only had stayed at the rig for 40mins but ended up being a good decision. Conditions pretty good until we hit West point area where we were met with a westerly and got a bit wet.

Cheers
Gibbsy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Harbour mixed bag

Post by Matt Flynn »

Barra and bluewater on the same day, great fishing :mrgreen:
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Thanks Matt, was definitely a top notch day!
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

Nice work Gibbsy. Im flat out trying to get one of them on a trip, you managed both!!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good result there Gibbsy , Bazz & macks gotta be happy with that .
I won't be on the Blue for a while got some major repairs on the trailer as well :(

Top post :mrgreen:
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Tell me about it Jeff. I am glad trailer repairs are out of the way. Just in time for runoff and early dry season Bluewater sessions too.

Hitting Dundee in a fortnight I am just hoping we get a nice patch of weather that weekend.

Gibbsy