Dolphin chasing barra

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dolphin chasing barra

Post by joesgotone »

Seen plenty of dolphins chasing mullet into the shallows for a feed. Today I saw an old dolphin based on the markings, chasing Barra. These Barra were beaching themselves deliberately to evade the dolphin. Of the three Barra that beached they all lay very still and were of legal size. I netted one that the dolphin left behind that was 61 cm. what would a dolphin do with a fish that big. Amazing to watch. Was the only Barra I got all day, pretty sad when you have to steal someone else's lunch. No pics and not claimed as a catch in brag mat comp. got some video of the dolphin fishing though.

how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dolphin chasing barra

Post by Lats »

I witnessed dolphins going up the Finniss one day. Next thing I saw was barra jumping all over the bank with a couple beaching themselves temporarily. Then the dolphins headed back down stream
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

pretty sad when you have to steal someone else's lunch
too funny :D

I've seen them going up Buff Creek, probably to get a hit of sewage meth
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Yep, I have seen this happen in Little Howard. Dolphins beaching themselves on the sand bar and the Barra leaping out of the water to get away from them.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Haven't seen it myself, but been told of dolphins chasing barra in Shoal Bay and throwing them in to the air. Surely the dolphins are there to eat them.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

I've seen this before in the Elizabeth River, barra beaching themselves and then jumping back in the water after the dolphin leaves, amazing to see.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Yep fun to watch ,but wouldn't you spew if you saw a Red Tag getting chomped by a Dolphin . :banghead: :rofl:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

jeffish wrote:Yep fun to watch ,but wouldn't you spew if you saw a Red Tag getting chomped by a Dolphin . :banghead: :rofl:
You'd dead set harpoon that bugger