Bynoe Barra

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bynoe Barra

Post by Daz12 »

Took the daughter out to Bynoe last weekend to try for a Barra as she was reminding me she hadn't been fishing for ages. :(
Headed to my usual drains acround Crab Claw but it looked cr.p, no bait, no action at all. Tried up a creek I haven't fished for a while but no good there either. Headed to another creek and it looked better, heaps of bait around and the water a good colour with clearish patches and colour changes.
Hooked a couple of small Goldies then had a couple of hits, one right near the boat as my daughter was pulling her Gulp Prawn in.
The daughter was getting a bit restless and was ready for home but I explained we had to wait for the tide to come in so there was enough water at ther ramp. I said we'll start heading back and flick any good looking gutters in the way. Up on the plane in into the mouth of Milne Inlet and noticed a gutter on the right with a bit of nervous bait and a few splashes going on. Backed off the Yammy and coasted into the gutter. Electric down, spot lock on and started flicking. Second cast hooked a small Barra and he got off on the way back to the boat. Kept flicking for a bit and was chatting to the daughter when just as the Gulp was about to leave the water on the retrieve there was an almighty boof, water sprayed everywhere and I was on. It ran back towards the bank and jumped and I thought that's not a bad fish. The daughter grabbed the net and after a minute or so fight she netted our only keeper for the day. Was a nice fish that went 78cm.
Some times it's just worth persisting......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Bynoe Barra

Post by Matt Flynn »

One fish changes everything, especially when it's time to cook :D :mrgreen:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Yep only takes one nice fish to change a day!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Nice silver bullet!
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Nice work Daz!
How do you work those gulp prawns? just a slow roll on a 1/4 or 1/6 weighted hook?
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Daz12 »

Maybe I should pay less attention more often..... :naughty:
Tristan I just slow roll them back. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether you twitch them around or not. Yep a 1/4 oz with a 2/0 hook. Found with the smaller hooks you lose more fish.
And it tasted delicious that night... Asian style. Ginger, spring onions, bit of soy on top then wrapped in wet baking paper and foil. In the oven for a bit then comes out delicious.