Adelaide river report, Christmas day.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Adelaide river report, Christmas day.

Post by Goat Island »

Hi all, very merry Christmas to all, may joy with family be plentiful, as for "spirited drinks", all part of a meaningful Christmas.

OK, I went into Darwin 24/12 during mid arvo to have Danish Christmas with my family [Christmas eve], River dropping, and beautifully black tea water at Donalds creek, bit at Beatrice, but still no "activity".

I came back mid morning 25/12, tide only just turned on high bit before, so no colour change anywhere.

Had an email from BOM, river level mob, [Thanks A.E] re Dirty lagoon, this is river gauging station that measures combined flow from the Adelaide and Margaret river, and it peaked at midnight 24-25/12 . Therefore, if we only get the much required odd storm and shower, give it another day or three, river run off should look good, even though first run off usually doesn't have much bait,
or activity. But it does beat getting smashed by the storms still arriving with regular frequency if fishing more open waters.

I hear there is a reasonable chance that a bit of monsoon "top up" may happen in a week or so, personally I have not seen anything indicating it, have not seen a single Crimson finch yet, but by golly, all the ants are busy carrying eggs upstairs.

That's all I have for now, feel free to call if coming this way, boat ramp safe at all times due to minor flooding, river here 1.5 m. above standard high tide.

Kai. Phone 89788803, and let it ring for a while, not always close.

craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Adelaide river report, Christmas day.

Post by craig.g »

Thanks Kai merry xmas to you

Cheers Craig
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Good info Kai, merry christmas!
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I was getting itchy feet at home so I went for a run up the Adelaide today. Launched an hour before the low and went straight to Goat Island for a beer and a burger.

The river is definitely in flood and as Kai says, it's only flowing one way. It looked like there was dark water in many of the creeks but most weren't flowing out on account of the river height. Donald's lagoon was the only one flowing black tea, maybe a bit from the drain. From Beatrice up you couldn't tell it was low tide. The water was brown but tasted completely fresh.

Went mostly to kill the time. Got soaked in a number of storms. Sorry for not stopping on the way back Kai, but I was racing the sunset.

Dan
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

Any updates on the Adelaide? Reckon it's worth a crack tomorrow or does today's rain mean it'll be rising too hard?
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Sanigav said he was going for a look int he chat bar, hopefully he can post an update here?
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

Monday morning 2/1/17.
River risen to higher than it was when peaked 26/12, then dropped until yesterday.

Here at Goat Island water is 1.2 m above high water mark, but where it is important is Dirty Lagoon, the river gauge 2km North of Marrakai track, where level reached 10.43 at 5.30 am today, up 2 m in 24 hours. [Normal 1.5/2.0] When it peaks, [D.L] it takes 24 hours here and 30 before peaking at boat ramp.

Looks like this rain is clearing up mid morning, with just brief showers rest of day. Don't worry about tides for launching at ramp, plenty water both high and low.

If any one coming out for the day, I would like my old van mowed to high point in carpark, I've got spare keys there, just give me a call. Kai, Ph 897 888 03.