You know you grew up in Darwin when....

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

You know you grew up in Darwin when....

Post by jasonmcc »

YOU KNOW YOU GREW UP IN DARWIN WHEN …

Going to the city was cr.p but going to Casuarina was cool.
Driving from your house to the beach only took 10-15 mins.
Except if you lived in Palmerston then this took you nearly an hour.
If you lived in Humpty Doo, then you REALLY lived in the sticks, people made fun of you because you had to catch those white buses.
And you lived in Humpty Doo. Ha, ha.
You think Darwin is cooler than Katherine and Alice Springs and WAY better than Tennant Creek, which is a tidy town hole.
You’ve gone to the Crocodile Farm maybe once and that was on a school excursion in primary school.
If you left Darwin, people you meet look at you funny and make fun of you and say in an incredulous tone “You come from Darwin!?â€Â

...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

True ay bros :cheers:
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Nglaaaaa,you mob are juz gammon ay?
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

I figured I might add a few- Friday lunches at the old Berrimah Hotel, Darbys was the coolest nightclub in Darwin, The Green room, mini mokes were the latest in aircon, Kmart had two entrances, I could go on but wont. To me Darwin will never be the same but thats progress I suppose. NIKO :cheers:
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

......................... i guess you grew up in Darwin then !!!!!!!!

......................... But you left out having sex in a Bali Hut in "BEACHCOMBERS"nightclub, then heading to "UNCLE SAM'S" for a feed and watch the fights when the clubs closed at 6am, hey "CUZ"

........................ GREAT POST

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

.............................. I moved to DARWIN in 1990

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

:cheers:
Last edited by back-cast on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Yep well done thats all I can say except for the following that you might have missed.
Like when it used to take 3 hours to get to Buffalo Creek (all dirt), you had to swim across rapid creek to get to the other side, you could make a living out of collecting trolleys at casuarina, the speedway was where the veledrome is and had that white rocket over the entrance, Sanderson highschool was bush, it would take you half a day to ride to the dump and the clay pans, you could get a Pauls iced coffee for 60cents! Fishing and Outdoor world was still the best tackle store, 'Darbys' used to pump and the 'Joint and Fannies' rocked also, the hookers ball was actually a ball not just somthing that happened when the US navy were in town, the sailing club was actually for people that sailed, they used to set up the huge plastic waterslide at the botanical gardens, you could have esky lid races at the amphitheater after the concert, you didnt have to worry about taking pot to the concert, the Vic hotel was a real pub, rage in tha cage was your sunday arvo relaxation, you could get into east point at night, the hospital you were born in was converted to a Uni then demolished, the fire station was where morgans motors is, casuarina used to be coles and kmart and that was it, palmerston was just where the two big satellite dishes were! Howard springs was safe to swim in. Barra fishing was done in a 12 footer with a johhno 9hrse and if you had a 15 you were the envy. Oh they were the days of good old Darwin. "SUL"
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I went to sanderson and remember those girls :P :P :P :P
And I am still scared of the ponciana woman :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:
Great post Jason brought back some memories.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Darwin

Post by jasonmcc »

I reccomend anyone that can add to the list, to do it and send it on to someone who grew up here. I was born and bred here and knew of lots of things on the list but would of loved growing up here 20 years earlier. I have seen it change for the worse in my life time :( But I supose thats going to happen anywhere thats as good to live as here.

How many people here really did grow up in Darwin?

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
noundz

Post by noundz »

Born & bred in Katherine.

Used to get excited about going to Darwin (single lane road and get off if a road train was coming) just to see the stop lights :shock:

Love the Territory. 8-) 8-)
JC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JC »

I have been in Darwin since 1985. I still reckon Gardens Oval is the best oval to play footy on. I see someone has mentioned Lims, what about the Dolphin it used to be a pretty colourful place. Remember driving south when some of the road was still dirt, seeing the same faces at all the lunch time strip shows until that Telsta wanka blew the whistle and you couldn't give a block of land away in Sowhetto. :cheers:
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I didn't grow up here (the wife did) I got here in early 1992.... both the boys were born here.....

Place has changed heaps in that time.... I also lined up for maccas..:bonk: :bonk: danced in the pickled parrot... raged in the cage... sunday service in the old dolphin pub (I think thats what it was called)... got drunk and rode a machine bull at the old Berrimah...OUCH

Some things are better some things are not, only thing for sure is that I recon I will die here :mrgreen:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

I wasn't here then but in the vain of the thread......

Carlton Draught in white steel cans with no pulltabs, the road to
Humpty Doo tavern lined with cans a foot deep, NT Draught , If you wanted labouring work just try the bar at the Marrara, the Workers Club opposite the Don......

entered on behalf of a mate who was here then :wink: :wink:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

When the sign on top of the old Carlton United brewery had the acronym for "Carlton United (Northern Territory)" in big red letters.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
outthere
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by outthere »

Parents have been here since 1957

Bought their first house here for 80 qid.

Early 70's as kids we use to swin at Daly River crossing on air mattress.

Grow up in Berrimah,it was the bush then

Truck City was a chicken farm and market gardens

Could leave your house unlocked all day and leave your keys in your car when you shopped at jack the slashers

Mcmillians Rd is now called Vanderlin Dr

Dolphin boats were all the rage

The biggest outing for the year was the Darwin show, you made your own fun for the rest of the year

The Drag strip was at the 33 mile world war 2 air strip

Tv station was NTD8 and ABC
Night Stalker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Night Stalker »

Good post Jason,
Been here since 1981. Loved Darwin in the 80s. With a 4WD and roof toper you could go just about anywhere. Used to go 4WDing to Meckit Creek as a good close spot. Now its all Military land.
Who saw Dire Straits play at the showgrownds in about 1986. Awsome!!
And remember when rock concerts were at the ampitheatre and you could take your esky full of grog. Everyone would tip the ice slurry out of the esky at the top of the hill after the concert and slide down on the lids.
I contend that where you fish is the
most important factor in catching fish.