You know you grew up in Darwin when....

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

I remember my older brother and Sister going to that concert Night Stalker I was only seven so wasn't allowed to go. p...ed down rain all night from memory.

dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Almost born and bred here. :cry:

Rellies were here before the war but were evacuated and didnt come back.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

ghound wrote:I remember my older brother and Sister going to that concert Night Stalker I was only seven so wasn't allowed to go. p...ed down rain all night from memory.
Too right it bucketed down, I remember it well. My Missus was up the stick with our first daughter so she couldn’t drink :lol: :lol: ……I made up for what she missed out on. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
That same daughter is now a journalist on Channel 9. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Darwin

Post by Matt Flynn »

In Katherine ...

- swimming at Knotts Crossing on a Friday night after Crossways closed.

- working in the hot dog stand at Crossways on weekends with a bottle of Jim Beam yellow label under the counter.

- fishing the gorge when there was only canoe hire and a couple of tourist boats

In Darwin ...

- two sets of traffic lights in town, and not much traffic anywhere

- two bands at The Cage on a Sunday - Vimme K or Rat Salad or The Poor Boys or Rising Storm or Doc and Lew the Lip. Visiting bands like the Zep Boys. Then on to the Nightcliff Hotel for another band, then on to the Vic Hotel. You could go to the Hotel Darwin for a quiet one, or sing along in the Green Room

- duck, pig and magpie shooting and motorbike riding at Leanyer dump, the old mortar range, Meckit swamp and Noogoo swamp (I never did any of that illegal stuff of course).

- strip and prawn at the pubs even during the day (I never did any of that either).

- a trip to Bynoe wide or Lorna Shoal was a big deal, with a big catch almost guaranteed

- the Trailer Boat Club was a place where smelly old seamen hung out after fishing trips. It's a great place now but looks more like a general social hangout

Darwin in my opinion is going backwards. The rot started setting in during the mid 90s and now it's in full swing. "Progress" IMHO is a word purely to do with a few people making a lot of money - it has nothing to do with "quality of life" for the majority.
Night Stalker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Night Stalker »

Darwin in my opinion is going backwards. The rot started setting in during the mid 90s and now it's in full swing. "Progress" IMHO is a word purely to do with a few people making a lot of money - it has nothing to do with "quality of life" for the majority.
Totally agree with that Matt.
I contend that where you fish is the
most important factor in catching fish.
Slayer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Slayer »

Born in the old Darwin hospital 22 days before tracy. Remember swimming in a 12foot tinny as max blew its ring off. Being bashed by bouncers at Darbys ( some things never change) Leaving your car unlocked. Taking the air rifle down rapid creek ( freshwater) and shooting anything that moved. :hunting: Useing the same air rifle to shoot someone stealing mangos ( we are mates now ) Mandorah jetty had skinnys the size of small cars, shaol bay had crocs even bigger and the crabbing was even better back then.Nobody stole or checked each others pots. No-one cared if you walked around barefoot, no shirt, arse crack showing with a VB in your hand. Still the best place to live but 20 years ago it was GREAT. The fishing is still good though :grin:
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

On Ya Jason you (Balinda boy)

What about??????? :rofl: :rofl:

Night clubing at DIX and FANNIES :fu: :fu:

Being chucked out of DIX through the big barn doors onto the footpath (because you were p...ed and straight and over steped the mark) :bs: :bs:

Taking 2 hours to drive to Fog Dam and catching Barra off the dam wall :clap: :clap:

Playing golf on the cliffs at the Fannie Bay and Larrakia golf clubs :lolpoint: :lolpoint:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Gibbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbo »

The old days.........
where u could drive around in the back of ute,s
or get 12 people in a mighty boy and drive to beachcombers :lol: :lol:
and have a beer doing it
those where the days
cheers :cheers: :cheers:
FISHING IS LIFE
----------------------
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

- When they used to ski at the ski club
- Stroking a Stray Cat at the Maranga (WinnellieHotel) on a Wednesday arvo with George "the Govner" Gameson and Neville & the Blue Flames cranking up the crowd. And what a crowd it was............... :smoking: - Catch 22 at the Humpty Doo on a Sunday arvo
- Lims>Dolphin>North Darwin footy club till 3am on a Monday morning, why was Sunday always the big session?????
- The big bucket of brollies at the old airport for the 400mt walk to the plane in the Wet
- Shell Airport Gates 24hr - the place to be on saturday night if you were into your cars then the midnight cruise down to the airstip at Freds Pass for the illegal drags - sometimes even had the boys in blue give a hand 8-)
- Brining a handline to school so you could have a fish while wagging at the base of Bullocky point
- Chef Jaffa at Jessies - best steak in town and schooners of white wine & orange juice for 50c (Honkeys) - way smashed for $5
- All you could eat & drink for $20 at Holtze Cottage in the Gardens - that one didn'nt last long after they realized just how much we COULD eat & drink
- Fishing the Daly during the run off and having NoFish to yourself, swimming at Robbies sandbar
- The 13 mile school bus exchange for us bushies where all the Morgans 'yellow peril" buses used to meet from CHS NHS & DHS if they made it...................had to push them tooo many times
- carrying the boat, then the motor , then the esky, then all the gear down the muddy rocks that was the Middle Arm ramp

Those WERE the days......... 8-)

:cheers:
Melv
JC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JC »

What happened to the Darwin Rock Sitters Club and the World Champion Darwin Ice Hockey Team. I guess the booze buses took care of them? :roll:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I reckon the Rocksitters got sick of the smell from the Ludmilla sewer outlet, which is about 500m away from the rock
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Matt Flynn wrote:I reckon the Rocksitters got sick of the smell from the Ludmilla sewer outlet, which is about 500m away from the rock

You mean this bl..dy disgrace Matt :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

It makes us look like a third world country or worse I reckon, extremely short sighted :evil:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
chezasnt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by chezasnt »

No-one mentioned Fugly competitions at DIX till Six.

You had to be careful you didn't venture too far over the
dance floor as there were some strange characters that used
to go there.
Cheza
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Old thread, but heres my contribution.

You could access the whole of stokes hill wharf and it was a family past time to take the kids fishing down there on a Sunday morning. the trip from berrimah lights to east arm ramp took an etternity and the lepriserium was still operational. Ben Hammond Workshop was the railway yards. If you worked in Bishop Street and lived in the Northern Suburbs and were not quick enough to beat the train crossing on Snell Street you got out and had a social in the middle of the street with everybody else that wasn't quick enough, Pt Stuart Wilderness lodge was opperational as the Jimmy Creek Abatuors, If you are about my age the chances are that your mum got knocked up after a big night out at the Boganvillia Room (Bogarts), the track into Corroboree came off of the old hardies track(the one with the keep out sign written on a car bonnet nailed to the tree), Crocs didn't jump in the Adelaide and the list goes on.

Great thread. Well worht digging up. :mrgreen:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.