Funniest fishing trip?

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Funniest fishing trip?

Post by Matt Flynn »

What was your funniest fishing trip, or fishing incident?

Mine was probably when I was fishing the end of the Screwpile Jetty at Victor Harbour SA as a teenager.

I'd sometimes spend weekends away, sleeping on jetties.

Me and a few other night-fishing fellas thought we were pretty cool, we had Penn Senator 6/0 game reels and boat rods with roller tips and would catch sharks and rays and very occasionally something with scales like a snapper or mulloway.

So it was 1am and underage me and my mates are puffing away on Winnie reds and swigging on bottles taken from one of our parent's home-brew stash, tuff as, when a cop car cruises down the causeway, comes around the island, and waddyaknow, drives right to the end of the Screwpile Jetty where we are sitting.

The window winds down and the copper yells: Is there a Matthew Flynn here?

"Errrr yeh," says I.

The cop says: "Call your mother, she's worrying."

Then he drove off (wasn't any mobiles then) ...

That was funny enough (after the event), but I don't recall telling mum I was going to the Screwpile Jetty, it was a late change of plan ... not sure if the cops checked every jetty in Adelaide :catch:

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Funniest fishing trip

Post by Matt Flynn »

Remembered another one ...

As teenagers we would catch the train to Outer Harbour in SA with all our fishing gear strapped to our pushies, some pretty serious gear too for one bike to carry. Back then the Adelaide trains had large areas near the doors where people holding pushies could ride the trains.

On the odd occasion when we did get a big mulloway or snapper we would take it home on the train the next morning. It was cold at night so the fish kept OK.

The fish would be strapped to the bike during the early morning commuter rush hour ...

We did the right thing, we gutted and washed the fish first :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't recall anyone on the train ever saying anything.

Other times, after a weekend away with very little sleep, we would be so tired on the train journey home we would nod off and slump onto the passenger in the next seat.

Smelly, sleepy, teenage fishos are a curse ... but at least we weren't off our faces on ice etc, and breaking into homes etc.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Funniest fishing trip?

Post by Matt Flynn »

bump