Dead dugongs

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dead dugongs

Post by Matt Flynn »

A fishing guide took these pictures of a dead dugong mother and calf in Bynoe Harbour last weekend 23-7-06.

The mum and bub had been weighed down with an anchor and their bellies slit to stop them floating, but they appear to have floated anyway.

People with nets were seen operating in the area earlier but it is not known whether they were responsible. Dugong are trapped in gill nets from time to time and netters are expected to dispose of such bycatch in a thorough manner.

I have been told of several rare saw sharks being dumped on the Fog Bay Beach earlier this year, but no one has come forward with evidence such as pictures.

Good operators - pro or rec - minimise their bycatch. If you see evidence of poor professional, recreational or plain illegal fishing practises take pictures and report it or else it will just keep happening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Dugongs

Post by Matt Flynn »

Bring on the marine park in Bynoe Harbour is all I can say - but don't hold your breath, the current Territory regime is not a fast mover in recreational fishing matters.
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

What a sad sight :cry:
G
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by G »

I was out that way a few weeks back with some Victorian rellies and we were absolutely stoked to see a herd of dugong travelling out with the tide (and several marine turtles). It was a real testament to the abundance of marine life in the area - and so close to a major populated area.
I just hope that we aren't seeing the end of it.
Cheers G
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

bynoe

Post by dodgyone »

When was the last time you saw a croc at Bynoe? Dont see too many there anymore. Wonder if they have all been shot out?
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.