cane toads

Introduce yourself, talk about beer, crocs, headlines, dugongs or Paris Hilton.
shauno26
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

cane toads

Post by shauno26 »

This isn't fishing related, I live in Palmerston and on Thursday night found my first Cane Toad. Unfortunately my Fox Terrier Maggie found it first and had already had a chew on it. Within minutes toxins took effect and she was vomiting and having siezures. I disposed of the Toad (not with haemorroid cream either). Anyway beware, my dogs ok now but cost me. Lets hope this foriegn pest has no impact on our Barra stocks.

Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

toads

Post by Matt Flynn- »

Should be no worries with barra - a mate of mine did a study at James Cook Uni and the barra spit out the toad tadpoles unless they are really hungry. They must taste bad. So there will be plenty of barra in future :rock:

Sorry to hear about your dog - glad she survived. Interesting to see what she does next time she sees one.
Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: cane toads

Post by bobj »

shauno26 wrote:This isn't fishing related, I live in Palmerston and on Thursday night found my first Cane Toad. Unfortunately my Fox Terrier Maggie found it first and had already had a chew on it. Within minutes toxins took effect and she was vomiting and having siezures. I disposed of the Toad (not with haemorroid cream either). Anyway beware, my dogs ok now but cost me. Lets hope this foriegn pest has no impact on our Barra stocks.
Mate, I feel sorry for the pooch. We had that problem when we moved to Mackay 7 years ago.
Cheers, bobj.
shauno26
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by shauno26 »

thanks fellas, i hope she has learnt her lesson to. Fingers crossed.
Larns
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Larns »

I've got a scottish terrier and he did the exact same thing about five weeks ago, I also forked out a lot of money for the ocasion. Kinda ticks me off, for the huge vet bill the reality is that the vet dose bugger all, it's up to the dogs ability to fight the toxins. The vet just gives them some valiumn to stop the convultions and a drip (which cost less than $20 to buy a bag, but they charge 150 for your trouble).
Not to take anything away from them as they do care an they do do a good job, it just grinds my gears :lol:

Cheers