Your first barra?

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Your first barra?

Post by kingsley_z »

Mid 90's, camping at Galloping Jack's in the dry season with my grandparents and cousins. They took 8-10 grandkids there for ten days for about three years straight. Swam, canoed and fished all day every day. Probably about a km downstream, must have been legal because we ate it.

kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

My son got his first last year in about April. In the Rosie river on Lorella Station. He talks about it still. Made it onto the news. I would have been 12 or so, he was 4. His was 62cm.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

First one was elizabeth creek junction on a busted old egg beater reel, 6kg mono and a 6inch nilsmaster in 1990. The first measured 75cm. I got 12 for the day. My grandmother said that i ran up the bank at browns creek where we camped with the biggest smile on my face and was forever hooked on fishing.
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

My first was at yellow waters billabong 20 years ago and a huge 58cm. it was me and 2 mates squeezed into a duck punt I brought up from Victoria with the sides no higher than a beer can above the water and a 5hp motor . We caught over 200 fish in 2 days on some cheap Rex hunt lures ( we thought barra fishing was like pulling carp out of a land locked bit of water ) we purchased from Kmart in Victoria . We also seemed to be the laughing stock of the whole lagoon when the tour guides came past and nearly sunk our boat and we had to bail water out each time . The guides were on the microphone telling the tourists this is what we call Croc bait . The difference back then was the croc were scared of us but these days they would jump straight into the boat
slamminsam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by slamminsam »

2008 @ Bynoe Harbour. Up here on holidays from Vic and one of the chefs at Crab Claw took me out in his tinny. Went 57cm and caught it on my second cast in the Territory! :D
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Easter 1983, Alligator Billabong, off the bank beside the old dirt ramp.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

2005 up a small tributary of the Liverpool R. Maningrida. 57cm. Caught 30 odd barra that day off a small drain. My eyes were like saucers. Gave the Crownies a nudge that night and did it all again the next day.

Still kicking myself I waited that long to head north.
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

1990 Kakadu hwy off the bridge over JimJim creek I think it was called, it was a small 38cm on the old trusty nilsmaster spearhead. I see there was a few firsts on the nilsies
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
miickk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by miickk »

Mine was a 67cm from shady, i trolled the mouth in the congo line like every1 else for zip and on the drive back saw 1 busting some bait with no real reason for it to be there, no drain nothing, 3 flicks and in the boat.

Young fella (6 at the time) got his first a week later in middle arm on a lure his grandfather made for flathead etc down south he refused to sit there with live bait and wanted to throw lures, poor bastards fish was 54cm...he was gutted we had to let it go.

since then he has me beat with a few over 80cm, i work away now so have to take him out once this water runs off and try get him a metery
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

A small fish of about 30cm on a Cotton Cordell popper in 1983 from the Ord River below the diversion dam. A week later I landed two fish in the Victoria River that went 120cm and 122cm on an Invincible, my fate was sealed.
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Acsle »

2007 Buffalo Creek....I think was in the low 40's. First decent one was Daly River Crossing in 2010. He was 74 cm caught on old Daiwa Aird.