Shady Saturday March 3rd

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Shady Saturday March 3rd

Post by dannett »

Went and checked out Shady on Saturday and was surprised by the lack of participants, maybe they all knew the fishing would be slow? We didn't see anyone boat a barra but did hear a couple of people say they found them further a field, albeit still slow for the distances they ventured looking. It sounded like the successful people were the ones who did overnighters.

We ventured up over the third barrage and into the melaleuca swamps for a look.
It probably won't be long before this area becomes the next "dead forest." There was lots of water pushing out despite the tide well on it's way to nearing the morning peak. There was tarpon and bait everywhere.

We pulled out of Shady on the low yesterday afternoon. There was still plenty of water at the ramp, it was almost like a high tide. The road in is pretty good in most spots. Watch the floodway's though. The first two in the bitumen section and the second last one all have big holes in them. The dirt ones have a few holes as well.

Feel free to add your story and pics in the comments if you don't feel like starting a full thread.

Dan
Last edited by dannett on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Saturday March 3rd

Post by Gibbsy »

Cheers for report dan
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice picture, those barra would be spread far and wide while it is like that
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Cheers for the report mate. Can’t wait until Wednesday!
matt1311
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by matt1311 »

Yeah a fella snapped a spring on that first bitchumen washout section a few weeks back when I was heading out there
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Matt Flynn wrote:Nice picture, those barra would be spread far and wide while it is like that
Heaps of water up there. If you were in the sub 4.5m class, you would be mad not to go and explore a little. With some persistence I think you could find a productive outflow.
matt1311 wrote:Yeah a fella snapped a spring on that first bitchumen washout section a few weeks back when I was heading out there
I don't doubt it, we clipped the first one in the dark, it seems like a very deep hole with hard edges.
Flickin4em wrote:Pictures not loaded up ?
Cheers for the report how high is it in relation to the cleaning table on the main barrage ?
The fillet table is exposed but not quite reachable. It would be a full hardy person who attempted to venture out further than it and I didn't see anyone try and go out as far as the table.

We launched at 6:30am and the water was less than 5m below where the new ramp pitches down. When we pulled out it would have been right on low tide and about another 3m to 5m of ramp exposed. Judging from the side of the ramp the tide only dropped about 2m.

The new ramp is actually very good, I was extremely skeptical but in these conditions it functions perfectly.

Dan
Last edited by dannett on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Thanks for the report Dan
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Dan, heading out there in Friday