River Levels

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: River Levels

Post by NBN »

C'mon dannet, we're not after exceptional (not yet); 2011 was exceptional. After 5 lean years we are accustomed to grinding it out, to disappointment. Decent to Good will suffice for now. Exceptional can wait until next year.

So yes, one good wet will turn it around!!

:catch:

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

dannett wrote:Hate to be the skeptic but I doubt one good wet season will turn it all around. If I recall 2010/11 was on the back of a few good years in a row.
I agree Dannett, I tend to think next year will be better than this year with good recruitment from chokers billabongs........if we get a couple of decent Wets in succession.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

Interesting opinions on the wet season and the effects on the fishery, in particular the Daly. The following is a summary of facts of conditions on the Daly River.
There are many variables in ecosystems and the combinations required providing ideal conditions for a flourishing of life are tremendous.
The rain fall so far this year is average, boosted by the recent monsoon activity, however the rain fall in October/November and most of December was very low with November rainfall being one of the lowest on record.
The river height and flows during that period were some of the lowest ever recorded.
River height to date has been below average, and the river has not broken its banks so far this year. The recent sustained river levels are the best seen for a few years but have occurred later than is optimal.
River height/flow has a direct influence on spawning activity not only of Barra but Cherabin, a highly important part of the food chain in the river.
It is known that many other small fishes that form part of the ecosystem do not spawn during the wet, they breed in the dry season when the water is cooler and clearer.
The 2011 wet produced great fishing partially due to a record flood, but more significantly, multiple above average river heights/flows in the preceding years occurred, the fish biomass had built up over a number of years.
The professional netters in Anson bay had one of their best seasons that year and interestingly also the following year when the river heights/flows were low and theoretically the fish didn’t move up river.
The river heights/flows post 2011 have with the exception of last year’s two week flood been well below average, indeed the rain fall and river heights were so low some of those years they could have been classified as droughts.
These conditions resulted in low recruitment of fish, hence the absence of particular “year classes/size” of Barra in the river. Recruitment of the fish biomass will take some time and require multiple average wet seasons to occur in succession, it’s a cycle that has happened before.
Media claims that it’s a record wet season are short on detail, the run off does not occur in Darwin or Tennant Creek.
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

Time will tell boys. Lets hope it fishes better than it has in previous years. If it doesnt thats ok because it is still a great river anyway.
I just love going there.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Excellent analysis WW, but don't kill the party :)

I have another theory, that there is a HUGE biomass of barra off the coast that is OUT-OF-SIGHT because of dispersion during the dry years, but is now PREPARING to ENTER the rivers thanks to the best Jan/Feb rain in years.

The acronym for this theory is HOPE.

HOPE is everything.
Goat Island
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Goat Island »

I reckon you are right Matt, even though I haven't much of a clue. Have been here for 13+ years, and twice within 5 weeks, the river is flowing too high for my comfort. [ Still .4 m. short of getting into old bar] and new one not finished yet. Hmmmm. And only 1 pair of Crimson finches so far. In my book.... It looks good, and still enough time for one more monsoon through.
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

For me it's simple:
* River (Daly) has been up for a number of weeks
* It may hit moderate flood level on Sunday
* There is still 12m of water at Katherine
* Outlook is favourable for a cyclone or deep low with the monsoon and maybe more into March

I have officially allowed myself to get excited.
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

Matt, I had no intention of killing the 'party' and their is no denying the intrinsic value and beauty of the river, nor should anyone be discouraged from being excited about the future.

Not sure what relevance the Adelaide River (Goat Island) input has with this thread, vastly different rivers and catchment.

I thought some knowledge gained from many years of living on the river bank (its where I live) and spending countless hours in a boat in pursuit of Barra in the Daly river could be useful to those less experienced.

In reply to pms original question, 6 meter's over the crossing (Police station) is THE magical river height.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I reckon Wonderwobler has got it right. In those previous years, Katherine and Daly broke their banks in December. The small billabongs haven't had the water to sustain the bait. I remember fishing in January and seeing little rainbow fish and tarpon pumping out of the feeder creeks in big schools. I have not encountered that in recent years.

But if the wet keeps up, this year should lay a foundation for next year provide that early rains come and replenish the smaller water holes to keep the bait alive.

I think that the Adelaide river is relevant, different systems but both affected by the lack of early rain.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Like I said, twaz a good analysis WW, and much appreciated :mrgreen:

Will be interesting to see the year unfold.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks WW. I love it when you talk dirty!
You’ve just killed off my theory of the baitfish needing to gain access to flooded plains to breed.
So are they just up there eating bugs that have drowned?
And I assume that the barra are up there chasing the baitfish
Ive seen data of barra logging that shows big barra snooping around on the wet floodplains – obviously looking for food.
So why is the run off so much better fishing than usual?
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

For the record, I'm in total agreement with WW and dannett. I love empirical data as much as anecdotal. Deep down I know one good wet (and it's not good yet) will not solve all the problems created by 5 poor wets.
I just want something to get excited about. When you only fish the Daly once a year you need something to hold on to.
:cheers:
pms
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pms »

Thanks everyone for advice.
I looked back further based on wonderwobbler's info about preceeding years building the biomass and it looks spot on. See the number of good seasons leading up to 2010-11, compared with the years since, leading up to this one...(still using Dorsivale, Police Station shows funny gauge levels)
It looks like in the 2010/11 year there had been an OK-but-slightly low year in 9/10 (keep the fish alive but don't let them all out?), preceeded by a few good years (build up stocks). Looking backwards for this year, last year was like 9/10 but the 3 years before that were cr.p.
Thanks WW for the magic level!
Does anyone have opinions on which gauge/ level means "flood plains full" and which level means "off flood plains"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

This year will hopefully do ok for small fish to have a chance to be a good group of juvenile survivors

It wont be for a couple of yrs of decent wets that they'll be legal sized and the numbers caught in the comps will improve ...theoretically.

It will still fish well once it drops. I'd make sure you have your days off booked in
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

All those tadpoles, tiny archers etc tell me that there's definitely a lot of breeding going on up the floodplains. Maybe not all species, but it happens.