My trip report for the year

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

My trip report for the year

Post by Richieboy »

After having a quality sesh fishing topwater on the Daly last week I managed to rip the skeg clean off my motor cruising back up the river at 4am. The plan was to stay another night and get stuck into them once we'd found where they were holding and by Jesus they were on like donkey Kong when the sun went down.
The sounder lit up showing fish stacked up on one particular creek and we jammed a few well into the morning before our trip was rudely cut short.
Cannon ball run back to Darwin only to hear the verdict that the prop shaft was bent, I put out the mayday call and my good friend MR126 kindly obliged.
Not only did he allow one black fella on the boat was kind enough to take two of us out with my cousin Chinny up here for a short 6 day stay.
We hit Bynoe and had a ball sight casting the flats landing fish into the mid 60's as well as some quality Jacks as bycatch. Once my cuz had the technique down pat and his casting eye in, he jammed a few as well before we were on our way back to Darwin.
After some discussion the call was made to rendezvous the following day and take a run out Shady way. I'd been hearing about all these 90's getting pinned and was keen to get the Cuz into a few before he went home. Once again, MR126 obliged and we launched on an early morning run in tide.
Made our way down to the mouth to be greeted by smooth conditions and porpoising threadies as the tide continued to push in.
It wasn't long before we had lures tied on and frothing the creek mouths to foam. Despite our best efforts and with multiple shows on the side scan of big fish regularly passing by we could only manage a solitary thready.
Back to the river mouth B52's and bombers were quickly tied on and we were soon marking up big fish on the HDS12.
Despite the shows it was a tough bite so we left em sulking on the bottom and turned to casting a few gutters as the tide dropped instead. We all had a few bumps and I dropped a beautiful chrome fish that would have been perfect for the dinner table.
The threadies were starting to get active before Chinny pinned a small rat before we decided to sound the fish up again. They hadn't moved very far at all and as the tide slowed to turn my B52 was inhaled by a solid fish. It's always good when you get that jarring hit and I knew straight away I was onto a decent fish.
Made short work of it before a fish in the mid 90's surfaced and we slid the net under her. A few quick pics and she swam off strongly.
Not more than half an hr later and the cuz nearly had his shoulder dislocated by a cracking hit and as I turned to look i saw a thumper bazz mackerel launch straight up into the air. The boys behind us were hooting as he settled in for the fight but cheers turned to groans and the silence became deafening as the hooks pulled on him.
That pretty much set the tone for the day for him as he proceeded to hook consecutive fish only to pull hooks.
It's about this time that old masterclass MR126 himself started the scoreboard ticking over again as he upgraded for the comp with a healthy fish in the mid 90's.
The sounder continued to highlight big fish as we pushed further upstream with the tide and this time it was my turn again.
I'd made the call and said I was done playing with small fish and on went the Big Ass 200.... 5mins into the troll I was jammed as the fish launched once showing us some girth. She was a horse and as green as the lure I was trolling.
Staying deep she powered off toward a few snags before I managed to thumb the curado and turn the big girls noggin.
By this stage we'd landed probably a few fish in the 90's and this joint was living up to its title of slab city.
Leading the big girl into the net I thought she'd go close and by the time she was on the mat, I'd added another dollar to the bank account....$1.01 to be exact.
It's at this point I tried my best to convince MR126 to take this fish and claim it as his own (which he's clearly entitled to do under the laws of the sea dogs comp, however his reply was somber, stern....almost as if he were scolding a small child......he politely reminded me he only measures and enters his own fish in. I commended his moral standing with a hug and we promptly released the big girl back into the drink.
High fiving we started the troll again, this time MR126 took the hit for the boys and to my astonishment immediately placed the rod into Chinny's hands. Not only did this guy have morals but he'd sacrifice his own fish to see my cuz land one! 8)
Chinny accepted the Calais graciously with a bow of respect before leaning back slowly and applying pressure to the fish. It was 8mins before the fish was landed and f$&k me I called it for a meter......she went 97 and was another possible 1cm upgrade for MR had he chosen to land the fish himself.
We cracked a cider to celebrate and convinced my cuz to do way with his failure of a bomber and run a B52 instead.
He accepted our instruction as gospel and was rewarded almost immediately with a bone jarring hit that had us all turning in excitement.
The fish stayed low, refusing to show itself and I poop you not, I'd swear Huey had blessed us with another meter fish. The fight was a dogged one and we glimpsed silver only once in the current line when Chinny got the leader knot near to the boat.....as another boat passed hooting, it was like Chinny had entered the 10th round of a title fight. We were just waiting for that one knock out punch......and when it came we were all floored.
With one final crank on the Chronarch his braid went slack and the B52 surfaced beside the boat.....fishless.
Devastation ensued and the remainder of the aftrnoon was spent speculating on the size of the fish.
All too soon we were back on the plane and making our way back to the ramp.
The cuz had a cracking trip in the end banging a few fish and I was stoked to tick my meter fish off for the year. MR126 scored an upgrade and Huey was appeased.
Big thanks to MR126 for the run, and I hope you all get stuck into a few more lads. Good luck and remember, rip lips, grip lips......but let the big girls swim away to fight another day. Cheers,

Richie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mad KEEN!
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Re: My trip report for the year

Post by BarneyRubble »

Some SEXY fish there! Awesome read!
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Well guided rawlsy, and Lucky you dont expect us to read that novel do you!
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Nice work RB and not a bream net in sight!

Where was the main concentration of Nats activity when you were there?
MR126
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MR126 »

It was a great couple of days, with heaps of laughs and couple of nice fish RB
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done. MR126 you're a better man than me, I'll be damned if I ever hand over a good fish!!!
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Good on you fellas - a cracking tale and some quality fish there!

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
RedDevil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RedDevil »

sounds like a great trip! well done fellas
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

You had the best Guide
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.
Daz12
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Daz12 »

Good story Richie.
Bit disturbing the bit about the man hug though... :shock:
Tocs
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tocs »

Great story - well done.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great report mate, well done.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Nice ones in amonst those fish lads ... :mrgreen:

Good on ya MR126 plenty of good karma headed your way for doing that couple of trips out for them. I bet they are stoked considering they would have been still waiting on parts when his cousin boarded the plane on his way home.

Well done :applause:
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.