Million Dollar Fish Catch Rate

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Million Dollar Fish Catch Rate

Post by mickkk »

Think they tagged it and released it by hanging it on a stick off the Adelaide river queen. Well that's what I would do if I was crown.

Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Ba ha haaaaa!!!
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

I think it is Swimming around nicely, in the "No Go Zone" from Moon Billabong, to well into the Bay, Down the Daly, Breeding, like big Girls do at that time of year.

I must admit, I would get Very Excited, if I Caught a 100 cm Plus Fish, with a Tag in it.
Sick of coming home Fishless
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I keep thinking if this many people are catching these, maybe regular Barra releases could make a differences. Don’t know if it has ever been done before (into the wild, not an impoundment) or researched. But might be interesting.
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

The science is opposed to stocking wild fisheries and in fact I’m told it is illegal, the main reason being the introduction of an unknown gene pool and the effect that would have on the species and the environment.

In nearly any other research situation the boffins would also be alarmed at such a high tag return, given the small number of fish tagged. It’s OK though because it’s good for the economy.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

wonderwobler wrote:In nearly any other research situation the boffins would also be alarmed at such a high tag return, given the small number of fish tagged. It’s OK though because it’s good for the economy.
You do have to wonder how sustainable a fishery is if the amature fisherman catch rate is 10% per quarter.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Amateurs? Hell, I tell everyone I'm a pro.....ha ha!
kingsley_z
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingsley_z »

mickkk wrote:Think they tagged it and released it by hanging it on a stick off the Adelaide river queen. Well that's what I would do if I was crown.

"Well the real northern territory aint been seen,
all the sights and the sounds, you'll see what i mean,
when you take a trip on the river, in the Adelaide River Queen"

:smoking:
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Interesting thoughts guys. Myself, I tend to think it's more a reflection of stock levels rather than an overwhelming increase in angler effort. Though there is a definite buzz this year and does seem to
Be a lot more people out and about having a crack.
I often wonder what % of legal Barra do go back. My own thoughts are that stockings to supplement wild stocks are never the way forward. If we have a balanced and properly managed fishery we should continue to be world class moving forward. I'd personally love to see a complete netting ban(wouldn't we all) and would also support a slot size for Barra. A 3 fish bag with a slot of 60-90cm would be awesome to see.
It would be awesome to get a bit of clarity regarding the tag system. Ie is the MDF a single fish or changes daily?
Bluewater Dreamin'
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Barra come in good sizes a couple of legal size ones provide sufficcient fillets they should not have the same bag limit as spanish flags.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

The bag limit on Spanish Flag seems to be the weirdest of them all.
Captain6979
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Captain6979 »

Hottuna, I said it after season 1, there should be a rolling lottery-number generator for the million dollar fish, every day of the comp. that way potentially it could be any of the fish, any given day, but then Crown would run the risk of it getting snapped up a bit more. I hope it wasn't stuck on some fat slow 1metre jabba the hut style pishy, that could have been croc bait on day 1.. ha
bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigwoody »

The following is a press release from the people responsible for the MDF.

FISHY TALE
X Today the Barra could be worth $10,000 and tomorrow it could be worth $1MIL.
FACT
√ The Million Dollar Fish Competition created by Tourism Northern Territory of the Northern Territory Government is NOT a game of lottery. The value of the tags are pre-determined at the start of the competition and that value does not change for the duration of the competition.

FISHY TALE
X The tagged barramundi are put into a rolling draw and the number changes daily in a system.
FACT
√ Every tagged barramundi (including the Million Dollar one) has a unique number and each number is assigned a dollar value which does not change.

FISHY TALE
X When the tag is scanned, the scanner determines the dollar figure won.
FACT
√ When the tag is scanned, the scanner determines whether it is a legitimate tag (and not an imitation tag) and the value of this tag is then verified.

FISHY TALE
X The staff who release the fish know the value of each tag.
FACT
√ The people who know the tag value don’t know the release location.
√ The people who know the release location don’t know the tag value.
Optimistic Pessimist
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Guys

Yep the taggers come from Qld.

They catch, tag and release the 101 required. They're not from the NT which takes away some of the scepticism maybe.

What they tag is legal fish in the NT so at least 55cm.

They don't decide which one is worth $1M. The sponsors do that and nobody knows how.

The $1M fish isn't necessarily a horse. Could be any legal size.
Regards
Ronje
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Thanks BW and ronje for some of the facts

Although the facts take away some of the magical mystery, I like the idea of knowing the million dollar fish could be anywhere after all, including down my local boat ramp.

Assuming what they say is true.......

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!