I can see fish on the sounder but…

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

I can see fish on the sounder but…

Post by nomad »

On the weekend as we played around at Shady Mouth and a few creeks for bugger all
there were literally thousands of fish in some areas.
They were stacked on top of each other from the bottom to almost the top in varying depths of water to 10m.
The next day, they were still there but they looked to be almost vertical (I assume they were head down in the ‘ready to eat’ mode)
Has anyone seen this before?
I assume they were barra but who knows

I tried numerous lures, h/bodies, SP’s deep divers, shallow runners, big and small.
Not a tap
I didn’t see anyone else actually catch a fish the whole weekend (there were some catched but I didn’t see them)

Any tips? (beside stay at home)

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: I can see fish on the sounder but…

Post by Matt Flynn »

Aye, Shady Camp can be like that, and when the Powertail are broaching on the surface at the mouth it looks like the place is really alive ... but no hits.

And then the tide turns, or some other light switches and the barra come on ... if you are lucky :mrgreen:

Did you get any sounder shots?
Greybeard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Greybeard »

Maybe the fish know something that we don"t, like big rain on the way??? .Fingers crossed. :uhh:
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

This is what mine looks like there if the fish ARE on the go......An occasional fish seems to be coming up to nail something & seem to be moving around with the incoming tide not all stacked on the bottom.On the other hand, an old tri-beam Humminbird I had years ago was a good indicator if they were fair dinkum or not ; If i rocked up to a certain weed bed at Corroboree and the majority of the fish showed facing left ( in the weeds ), it was hardly worth a crack. But if they were right across the screen in that hole, facing all directions on the screen, and at various levels , nearly every time you would clean up. Shady is one spot where you can go mad looking at a screen; most times we stick to our plan if they are barra on the sounder, maybe just moving upriver a couple of hundred metres if we can't lug something up..And we might try a 1metre Halco scorpion among the spread of deeper lures and always run a B52;Makes me wanna go barra fishin!!!!!!..Good luck next lap mate :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

This is what mine looks like there if the fish ARE on the go......An occasional fish seems to be coming up to nail something & seem to be moving around with the incoming tide not all stacked on the bottom.On the other hand, an old tri-beam Humminbird I had years ago was a good indicator if they were fair dinkum or not ; If i rocked up to a certain weed bed at Corroboree and the majority of the fish showed facing left ( in the weeds ), it was hardly worth a crack. But if they were right across the screen in that hole, facing all directions on the screen, and at various levels , nearly every time you would clean up.
Interesting! :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I think my attempts to get some sounder captures worked. Ill see if I can find em and post here
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

I've seen the same thing at Tommycut, although we only got smaller blue salmon, no barra. Might need to try and target the bigger arches that occasionally cruise through...
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Take the sounder off simulator :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding mate the amount of powertails/salmon and Jewel Fish at the mouth would astound you.
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

Yep I would have called it for Salmon and Powertails as well. Mostly there gutsing themselves on almost invisible sized baitfish. Frustrating as hell to see on the sounder and you can waste hours trolling/casting at them for no result.
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

grumpy wrote:Take the sounder off simulator :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just kidding mate the amount of powertails/salmon and Jewel Fish at the mouth would astound you.
:rofl:
Dont worry, I did check that as well :rofl:
crocbt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by crocbt »

Seastorm wrote:This is what mine looks like there if the fish ARE on the go......An occasional fish seems to be coming up to nail something & seem to be moving around with the incoming tide not all stacked on the bottom.On the other hand, an old tri-beam Humminbird I had years ago was a good indicator if they were fair dinkum or not ; If i rocked up to a certain weed bed at Corroboree and the majority of the fish showed facing left ( in the weeds ), it was hardly worth a crack. But if they were right across the screen in that hole, facing all directions on the screen, and at various levels , nearly every time you would clean up. Shady is one spot where you can go mad looking at a screen; most times we stick to our plan if they are barra on the sounder, maybe just moving upriver a couple of hundred metres if we can't lug something up..And we might try a 1metre Halco scorpion among the spread of deeper lures and always run a B52;Makes me wanna go barra fishin!!!!!!..Good luck next lap mate :mrgreen:
see the third one from the right its a metery
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

Salmon come up on this sounder as a flat stick- funny enough there were heaps of fish on the surface one night at Mullet Ck , so we started scooping em in .The screen was full of flattish long images; and thats what they were....That is the best thing about broadband sounders maybe , that with more echoes per second instead of 1 every 2 or 3 seconds , you can tell a bit more accurately what they are /what is going on....Helps us anyway Nomad.Cheers mate :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: I can see fish on the sounder but… (now with pics added)

Post by nomad »

Ive finally got around to working out how to download and post the screen shots

here ya go
Not quite top to bo bottom but you would think that one would have a go at my lure.
Is it a fair comment to say that a fish that looks 1M long ( given the scale) then it is a m long?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

You should have dragged a big downrigger weight through, then gone back to pick up the floaters :lol:

Any fish with cannonball dings will be disqualified from Seadogs 2012 :catch:
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Something we should do more of on here - post sonar shots then detail the resulting piscatorial action.

I wonder how a plague of big jelly's (which there are no shortage of ATM) would show up Nomad??