Elizabeth River Culvert/ Creek help

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
pms
Gold Member
Gold Member

Elizabeth River Culvert/ Creek help

Post by pms »

Have been trying to learn about Elizabeth River and wishing/ dreaming that I could manufacture some runoff experience close to town.... :D

Any advice or experience from the local experts much appreciated!

CULVERT LEVEL (Elizabeth R Stuart Highway)- Has been up between 3-4m for the past 3 days (see http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDD60322/IDD6 ... .plt.shtml ). On checking recent year records (see NT Gov "Water Data Portal") it is a bit unusual for it to stay this high for this long. It stayed up for 3 days in feb 2011. It went up and down 4 times in Jan/Feb 2014 but never got as high and never lasted more than 2 days up. It looks like, once it stops raining, it normally takes 1-3 days to drop from 3 back to 1-1.5m. So my question is- what level to try to fish it?

ELIZABETH RIVER- Went exploring with my 12yo son in our tinny on Saturday when it first went up. We got as far as the Y junction (approx. 12 35'28.09S; 131 02'58.27E) and water was ripping out looking nice except too fast and too dirty... and seemingly no fish for us! Second question- has anyone fished up Elizabeth as the freshwater dropped with any luck?

Any ideas much appreciated, Phil.

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Elizabeth River Culvert/ Creek help

Post by dannett »

Darwin Harbour is tricky for run off because everything drains into mangrove creeks that are further up than you can access. But they can and will produce fish. Be patient and work that run out.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Elizabeth River Culvert/ Creek help

Post by goldfish »

Only creek I've ever seen pump a colour change runoff into the Elizabeth is bees ck mouth .. it's currently too high.

We launch a 12 footer off a mates block on gulnare road for this area and take 2 spare props as its a bit rocky up that way... good luck if heading up to it one day.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.