Daly trip

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Daly trip

Post by cjgp »

So I braved the Daly this weekend, only ended up staying Saturday though.

Thinking I was going to stay the weekend, I left home about 7.30 amd was on the water by 11. Ish. There were heaps of trailers in the car park, which was a good sign, but also saw me head home in the evening.

As I launched the Casting Couch, there was a slight problem.. I have to do the sudden stop in reverse to get the boat off.. as the boat cleared the trailer, the tether rope snapped... As the boat quietly drifted away I did for a moment think of a quick dip, but decided against it. A lovely bloke Mouse retrieved her for me. Thanks bloke. Sorry no beer. I don't drink. And your mate got to drive my boat so fair trade.

12.00 noon saw the show down with my nemesis, the Browns sandbars. This was the first year down on the Daly without my mate Merricks.. also the first year I didn't get stranded on the sand; actually, first year I didn't hit, anything, or crash into anything.. funny that)

Got a bit further down than the s bends and stuff and as the tide dropped found a minute little dribble of water into the main river, and picked up about 15 dwarf Barra over the next few hours.

About 4 decided to head up and set up camp, along with a few dozen other boats. Again made it through Browns on the tide lowered water, again made it no issues. (Breathed sigh of relief. You people have no idea the amount of time I have spent pushing my boat back to navigable water there while my mate doesn't watch for crocs)

Cruised past the dozen or so people waiting to get their boats off the water at the ramp. See you suckers I thought. Karma promptly snapped me on the but, no pontoons at Wooliana. poop.. went back and joined the Que.

I was thinking to grab the swag and camp on board but I was a bit underprepared so had to decline my own offer, instead headed home a winner, having not stranded myself anywhere.

As is the norm, had a blow out on the way home and changed it in the dark.

A great time was had. For me it really was a great day.

No photos. I lost my phone overboard yesterday while I pulled my crab pots in Lightening Creek. Winner no more.

goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Daly trip

Post by goldfish »

Did you see many people get decent sized fish ?
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

sounds like you had a day like my typical one

99% of the time i fish alone and have a long, very long painter line (12m) . i see so many people struggling with short lines.
you can shoot the boat off and by the time the tension takes up the boat has almost stopped,

how much water did you have under you at Browns? which side etc. i try to let others go first so i can follow their line. then i record it and follow on the return. every year it changes.

ive been driving for 45 years and have never had a blow out. must be lucky
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Goldfish. No nothing big. A couple of maybe 80's but not a lot was going on by the time of tide I was there. I think the first of the run in lower down stream is the go.

Nomad. Yeah my painter is a long one. Usually I have time to get out of the car and feather the line, I think though it got hooked early in the piece and so it was a short sharp rope..

From centre or slightly to the right of centre as you head down stream go straight towards the mouth of browns then about 5 m from the bank I ran along the "cliff". Pretty much same as last year. At low at least 1.2 at the moment
justlearning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by justlearning »

I went to the daly mid week recently on a solo run.
Stayed at lee and Jenny's bush camp.
Their care taker came with me to the boat ramp and I launched the boat
He drove my car back to the camp.
I even came came back for lunch just had to
park on the bank it's just a short walk
Across the road back to camp. Then In the late arvo their caretaker
Came back to the ramp with my car and I retrieved
The boat. Fantastic service and he wouldn't even take any payment
For it. Makes a solo run a little bit easier.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Thanks Just Learning. I will remember that for next time
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

justlearning wrote:I went to the daly mid week recently on a solo run.
Stayed at lee and Jenny's bush camp.
Their care taker came with me to the boat ramp and I launched the boat
He drove my car back to the camp.
I even came came back for lunch just had to
park on the bank it's just a short walk
Across the road back to camp. Then In the late arvo their caretaker
Came back to the ramp with my car and I retrieved
The boat. Fantastic service and he wouldn't even take any payment
For it. Makes a solo run a little bit easier.
not sure if thats something they want advertised? remember what happened at Leaders Ck?