Advice for NT Trip - Places to go

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Corry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Advice for NT Trip - Places to go

Post by Corry »

Nearly two years ago, we made the move from our Seaforth home in North QLD to the Snowy Mountains in NSW. The fishing down here has been really... how would you put it... pretty second hand :roll: It's been a bit of a shock going from chasing Barra and Mud Crabs to trout (and not the awesome ones), flat head and bream :bonk:

So, to try and get back into the fishing we love :catch: , I've taken a couple of months off work, and heading to the NT fishing, will probably come back via FNQ for a fish there too. We're looking for some advice on where to go. At this stage we're looking at starting at Crab Claw in mid March as the missus is flying in for a week, then it's off to anywhere for myself and a mate.
I know that King Ash is going to be on the list, we've fished there previously and loved it, same as Daly and Shady (all following advice from here a few years back).

What I'm really looking for, is any helpful info for getting to, camping options, and where to start fishing wise, at some other places of interest.

So far I've come up with Roper and Limmen Bight. I know there is heaps more out there to explore, just don't know where. I've got the Fish Finder mag, and the latest GPS SD Card (I've got the old one from a few years back, figured the latest would be even better)
I'd love to do some more up around Kakadu and around the Gulf, but open for suggestions.

We're fully set up to be self sufficient and capable of remote travel, with a 5m Top Ender on an offroad trailer, so if you had a couple of months to go where ever you wanted, where would that be?

Cheers
Corry

Cheers
Corry
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Advice for NT Trip - Places to go

Post by mickkk »

Depends on timing, but if you can go to cobourg it’s definitely worth the trip. Not great if you are just chasing Barra, but it is s great spot.
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Manangoora Station is worth a visit, also Lorella Springs
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Limmen Bight is more challenging than the Roper, lots of sandbars and clear water, but there's good fishing to be had.

More chance of a big fish at the Roper.

If you like a bit of adventure and are going to be there a few days I'd got to the Limmen and explore.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Get up to Wiligi at the base of Coburg penninsula - great camping, access to bluewater and pelagics out front, barra, salmon, snapper jewies etc 20 min drive away in the mini mini creeks
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Wiligi +1
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

Wiligi
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Unlikely that you'd be able to cross cahills at that time of year (March.) So I'd get a backup plan hatched too. Hard to predict what is going to be the best area this far out.. Wildman mouth could be worth a shot.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
Corry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Corry »

Thanks guys, much appreciated for the info.

Cobourg is on the list if we can get up there, I wasn't sure if permits were required or where to go up there. We'll have a look when we're up there as to if we can get through or not.

Limmen Bight sounds like a great place to explore, we're definitely going there. Any tips on camping areas or places to go throughout Limmen or Roper?

Manangoora Station, I'll look that up, never heard of it. Lorella is out unfortunately, doesn't open until May :(

Gunna go research Wiligi now, sounds like a great place, if it is accessible, we're there by the sounds of it.

Again, thanks for the info, if anyone has any more info on any of these areas that can help, or others we should be looking at, please let us know.

Can't wait to get up there...

Cheers
Corry
Cheers
Corry
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Manangoora is on the Wearyn River, about 80km south of Borroloola. In 2016 it was $150/vehicle for as long as you wanted to stay. Couple of decent dirt ramps to launch from with access to the islands and other coastal creeks from the mouth. I'd say they are open from whenever the Savannah Way reopens.
Sand flies and mosquitoes were savage
Corry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Corry »

Awesome, I found it, it looks like the goods. Is it a better option than King Ash Bay?
Cheers
Corry
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

King Ash has reasonably priced fuel on hand, concrete ramp hot showers toilets etc or free camping not far downstream, plus the fishing club for pretty good feeds, but a longer run to the mouth to access the islands and it's probably heavier fished, an option we've talked about but never done, is to launch at Bing Bong and go around 35km (guesstimate) to the west and access Rosie Creek mouth and the adjacent coastal creeks
Saying that, if I was making the effort to go camping and fishing I'd pick Manangoora, best bet is to time it with incoming early tides as the creeks close by that fish well for Barra have narrow winding channels in....once the wind starts to blow it muddies up so you'd need a gps track to get in and out, the mouth of the Wearyn is (was) well marked with poles however
fisheraddic
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by fisheraddic »

Chanel point reserve is also a good option for camping and good fishing close buy for all species