Leaders Creek drowning

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Leaders Creek drowning

Post by Rug »

The most sense I have heard after this incident is what Tommy Nichols said about the signage.

I have gotten used to bullsh!t in the media so no surprises there.

Tristian said he warned these blokes. What is to come out of this comment other than quasi self gratification on your own part? These blokes made a bl..dy silly mistake with tragic consequences. Your comment was not constructive at all and only served to demonize the blokes in that boat, one of which is no longer alive to respond. It is insensitive and rather cruel to those loved ones mourning their loss. Pull your head in.

i'm not deliberately implying he is a nasty person but it's not a good look.

Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I'd argue that the more news stories about this the better, some people are slow to get the message about the croc danger ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-19/d ... at/7428254

No doubt there are others out there with tiny boats thinking: "I'll be right."

The only real answer is to thin out the crocs. As Stewart Zanker said, there is no problem thinning out other animals, so what is the big deal with crocs?

The trapping program needs to be ramped up, and they also need to make some money out of it getting rich yanks out here paying accredited guides top dollar to shoot a croc. All this huffing and puffing about croc safaris being dangerous and a bad look for the NT is bulldust. If there are just a few guides and limited shoots then it will work fine, and will help pay for more trapping.
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

You face a much bigger risk towing a small tinny out to any fishing spot around here than what risk there is from an incident with a croc....someone dies on NT roads every couple of days and nobody bats an eyelid (apart from friends and family)
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat