Leaders Creek drowning

Tell us about your own or others' fishing, boating, 4X4 or camping trip gone wrong. With pictures.
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Leaders Creek drowning

Post by Jer »

Matt Flynn wrote:Just two blokes enjoying their day, bl..dy sad.
Indeed, very sad.

fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Very sad . At channel point there is a 4mtr crock chewing my pots as I put them in. So I buzzed him in 4.75mtr boat. At the same time a bath tub was putting in with there pots. They saw me and I exsplained what was happening and kept putting in.
tight lines
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Sad event but a slight breeze woukd know that boat over. I reckon there's more of that story to come, all seems a bit suss.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

May have been just misreported, time will tell. Croc might have scared them over to one side and in they went.
NofishNT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NofishNT »

Regardless of whether a croc tipped the boat or not this one is working for the government; look at them: "The crocs are getting bigger" I was wondering what is the government thinking? Then it clicked. Tourism and go and buy a bigger boat! Because everyone wants and can afford a bigger boat. Can't sell the the small boat, who's going to buy it? Everyone wins. Soon every Territorian will need 7 metre boats and big cars to tow them. What cut does the government get from fuel again? I thought the pollies were stupid, who's the idiot now. My opinion hasn't changed, lets limit the croc size and population, not boat size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

You've probably planted the seed right there, the boat dealers will be beating down the minister's office this morning :D
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

:bonk:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

To me the croc attack at SWA is completely plausible.

Crocs are known to attack boats, nudge boats and show interest in boats and people are known to drown quickly when stressed in the water or trapped underwater. These are not new things and both are well documented. But are they that well known? especially to tourists and locals who do not use our waterways often?

The boat involved is very small and these days would be considered not appropriate for many waterways. Small boats were more common in years gone by and are also popular with travelers and people who can not afford bigger boats. Maybe these visitors and others with small boats do not know the danger or interpret the risk as low or new the risk and danger but chose to ignore it. Maybe they have been using this boat for years and have never had a problem before, with either the boat or with crocs.

After this incident and in light of previous fatal croc attacks you would hope that Governments will act by improving signs at all boat ramps and water ways as well as education campaigns warning not just of crocs but the dangers associated with boats in croc infested waterways, particularly small boats.

It is a shame that after the facts have come out, media are still getting parts of the story wrong, such as the location.
Last edited by newfisherman on Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 502b043f26

http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 19c3c7088c

"Half a dozen crocs" trying to take him ... sounds like things have changed a bit since I was last at SWA.
A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

I fished and crabbed SWA over a few days a couple of weeks ago, we saw 1 small croc the whole time, i know it doesn't mean there not there.
Cheers,
Brad
><((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ...NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.
¸¸ .··.¸¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY .¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

They were there ... http://www.news.com.au/national/norther ... 7ba06422e4

What's it going to take to get these animals thinned out a bit?
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Yeah matt needs to be done. I'm sick of the stupid argument that a cull will give people a false sense of security and will inherently take more risk.. All a cull would do is give crocs something to be scared of again. I'm not saying shoot them all by any means just a couple thousand so there not literally everywhere in bulk numbers. Don't mean I'm going swimming any time soon but I remember when crocs seen a boat and took off due to remembering what used to happen. Either way boat was too small anyways
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I still think that if you kill/cull them, then they wont learn anything.
Im positive they can and do learn very quickly
Like a mate said elsewhere, give them a blast with ratshot or flash bangs and they will associate people with pain. People are inadvertently feeding them by discarding the bait etc from crab pots etc.
they see us a food source not as threat
so maybe remove everyone that becomes a nuisance and hovers around boats asap but a mass wipeout isnt the answer.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

nomad wrote: People are inadvertently feeding them by discarding the bait etc from crab pots etc. they see us a food source not as threat
I think you hit the nail square on the head there especially with regards to the crab pots.
burners
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by burners »

If anyone knows where to get them floating, waterproof fire crackers, PM me