Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Big barra going over dam wall

Post by ronje »

Hi

Check out these photos of flood victims in Central Qld

regards
Ronj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards
Ronje
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Big barra going over dam wall

Post by ronje »

Sorry fellas

Wrong attachment. Try again

Ronj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Ronje
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Shame the Manton Dam wall doesn't pump the same way, I think any Manton fish that get past the barrier net would go over and hit the bottom on an almost verticle trajectory, landing with a thud.

Would be great to stock Darwin River Dam even if it was never to be fished, because every flood event would send a load of metre fish into Darwin's Middle Arm. Now THAT would improve harbour fishing :-)
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

the barra getting out of awaonga,, good thing i recon 8) need to give em directions to cooramen creek as they leave

been some serious water flowing down this way

fish kill in woolwash/froggy not good but a natural thing i suppose. similar to the kills we get at shady,,, :|

hey ronje i noticed that there was'nt alot of big fish amongst the dead?? must be some horses in there. any therories??

:drinking1: Harmsey
moz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by moz »

We just need to put a shallow pluge pool into the base of the Darwin RIver Dam and no whuckas - Metre Barra in Abundance. Have to get rid of the barrier net first. I know a lot of people are going to whine about the limited genetic base of the stock Bla Bla Bla but the broodstock did come from Darwin Harbour so there is nothing tho whine about really. Are Fisheries even stocking Darwin River Dam anymore- excuse my ignorance.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi

I guess that its a good thing that some of the bigger fish get out of Awoonga. The Gladstone Area Water Board has their own hatchery and has put millions of fish (including mangrove jack) into Awoonga for a lot of years now. Those big jack would be impossible to handle I reckon.

At least some of the big males in Awoonga will now be able to turn into females and breed when they hit the salt.

The tagging program here has shown that ALL tagged barra go south from the estuaries. Very very few are caught north of the estuary they were tagged in.

Harmsey, Froggie and Woolwash have been open to the river for about 2 months so I think the bigger fellas all left before this incident.

Ronj
Regards
Ronje
Big Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Dan »

Few more photos of the barra at Awoonga boys

Cheers, Dan
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Aparaintly Proserpine is about to flow over the spillway to. Ther are thousands of big girls waiting for their freedom. Im not sure how they will fair if the go over there though. With a bit of luck it will rise fast & have plenty of water at the bottom.
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
seafarer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by seafarer »

big shool in bottom pic 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"hold on "
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi all

The above photos were taken with the water .8m over the spillway. Its been running over for about 2 weeks now.

10 minutes ago it was 2.75m over the spillway and still rising..

Thousands upon thousands have gone over with the Boyne River downstream white with carcasses.

Nearly all the Qld dams on the east are running over. Don't know how successful the net at Tinarroo is. Be interested if anybody's got info.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Just got this in.........another victim.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures