awoonga barra nearly takes world record

chelepy87
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

awoonga barra nearly takes world record

Post by chelepy87 »

At Lake Awoonga Dam, in the dying hours of Monday, Glenn Smith was about to enter the annals of fishing history. There are thousands of stories of the big one that got away, but a fish caught locally this week may have been too big to get away. Fishing for most of the day with Barra Madness tour operator Jason Wilhelm, Mr Smith and his son Shannon had their lines hit several times, but were yet to be blessed with staring a barra in the eyes. When measured, the barra measured 132cm and weighed 36.56kgs; however, the most startling aspect was the 100cm girth. The biggest ever record barra was caught in Tinaroo over a decade ago, and weighed in at 37kg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

almost as big as my fish 38kg
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Lovely advertorial, fishing must be a bit slow :wink:

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/ ... ord-barra/
Regards Dick
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Didn't someone catch a 147cm down the Roper a few years ago?
Harty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Harty »

Yeah I heard the same, and a 150+ caught on a set line in the Ord in 2004ish...or was that one curteousy of photoshop?
chelepy87
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chelepy87 »

yeah dick i live 15 mins from the dam fishing has been very slow as it did a role over in MAY and only just starting to return back now. I just thought i would put it on for others to see who would not of seen the newspaper article
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

chelepy87 wrote:yeah dick i live 15 mins from the dam fishing has been very slow as it did a role over in MAY and only just starting to return back now. I just thought i would put it on for others to see who would not of seen the newspaper article
No worries chelepy, credit given to where it belongs, the angler and the guide both, it's a fish of a lifetime.

The kudos with regard to it's to it's proximity to a world record whilst accurate tends to ignore other caputures equal to or better than it, all fish of a lifetime to other anglers. Scotty's 130cm 80lber, Steve B's Homer, ol'mate on page 25 of Harro's book 'Barra' holding up a Tinaroo 90lber and plenty more demonstrate it's not a unique catch hence my tongue in cheek comment. Particullarly with this line in the article -

Having landed the second-biggest barra on record,

:wink:
Regards Dick
chelepy87
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chelepy87 »

totally agree with u dick it just good see the big girls are still there and active just a shame it never survived to see another day.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Its a great fish. Thanks for sharing it on here mate.

It makes you wonder what the biggest barra ever caught actually is. I reckon there were reports of a couple caught this year at Shady Camp around the 130 mark. I reckon there has been bigger ones caught but not sure what the 'official record' would be. The Tales from the Tinny boys were doing a thing on their site earlier in the year about finding the first 1.5m barra.
chelepy87
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chelepy87 »

im not sure how the world record status works of a fish but appaerntly it has some somethin to do with length, weight and the girth size im goin to some investigation and even ring the guide and ask him how it works. will keep the forum update with the how it realy does work
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

has there been any reports on the growth rates of the mangrove jack that have been stocked in the impoundments?...if it's comparable to whats going on with the barra they'll be taking waterskiers one day :shock:
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
chelepy87
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chelepy87 »

the awoonga dam is stocked with mangrove jack but to be suprised very hard to catch in the dam you hardly ever hear any reports of a jack being cuaght the only time i have seen it was on you tube where johnny mitchell one of the tour guides caught one
slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

any guess how big this one is ,im 180cm tall and the tail is still on the ground , it went 38kg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Harty »

I'll guess...145cm? Nice Nile Perch.. did you photoshop the pyramids out? :P
No seriously,,,, great fish 8-)
slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

no photoshop here its for real