Public access to be closed at Stingray Head, Finniss River

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Public access to be closed at Stingray Head, Finniss Rive

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Hey what billabongs are they talking about?

Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Scottie, 5 billabongs in Kakadu were closed in the late 80, early 90's including island billabong, djar djar, jabiluka etc by park management because they thought fishermen using them would spread the salvinia in them. This was proved to be incorrect as salvinia was spread throughout the magela system by birds and floodwaters and is now present in every system. Ive been working with Kakadu in has been trying to get access back for fishermen via a permit system, the system now just needs to be approved by the board of management when they meet next.
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

Hey Tristan

Being trying to contact you through the AFANT channel but looks like Xmas closure.

Any news on access permits?

You may recall my email a while ago with my concerns that I have my 3 boys coming up from Perth and we get a house each year at Dundee and quad up to the mouth each day to fish.

Unsure if i should cancel the booking on the house as that is the main reason we go down each year. We are booked on the 9th Jan.

Thanks in advance

Jim
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

fish4me123 wrote:Is this legal What sort of lease do they have?? If it is a pastral lease get a mining permit. If it's freehold good luck to them.

From what I understand they have a "Term Lease" from the gov, which is not a Perpetual Lease nor owning it as Freehold so I presume they are down the list from owning it. While I admire what AFANT are trying to do to, if the nt gov wanted to maintain public access to land they own, they could easily do so through the lease, or creating an easement, or building a road or many other ways they could do it. (they don't even have to compulsory aquire land). AFANT having a history of successfully running permit systems suggests despite how well they ran eventually came to an end for one reason or another. A permanent solution with titles and easement would be better.
O&Bfisherers
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by O&Bfisherers »

isnt there a conservation zone above high water mark right along the Dundee area
and isnt the beach open to the public?
Owen and Belinda
Mopinox
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mopinox »

what a F#%^^& joke.....join AFANT to get access..or no access. What about people who do not agree with AFANT who seem to do very little for the NT fishers and they want joe public to pay membership..HAHA.
Still wondering why the pro's can still fish areas the public can't.....apparently was all discuss at the meeting that your AFANT Rep was at.....as I said Joke!!!!!!
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

O&Bfisherers wrote:isnt there a conservation zone above high water mark right along the Dundee area
and isnt the beach open to the public?

Not sure about the conservation zone or whether that helps. Think the title (lease area) goes to the high tide mark , which means if your driving on the damp hard sand your on public land not the lease area.
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Need Dundee Hombre to clear up the confusion
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Burrum Heads
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Burrum Heads »

I heard the poor bugger DH passed away........
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

He moved to Barrum Heads.