Inpex Facility safety and exclusion zones

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Inpex Facility safety and exclusion zones

Post by tristan.sloan »

Inpex has provided AFANT with a map detailing the safety and exclusion zones around their facility in Darwin Harbour. Recreational fishermen are reminded to respect these zones for their own safety.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Inpex Facility safety and exclusion zones

Post by jeffish »

p..s poor map mate , I know where your talking about
but some may not . Need a bigger one maybe .
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

nah, I like that map Jeff. It actually says bugger all so you can still fish around it. lol
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

You can fish the MOF rockwall and along the shoreline. Cool!
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

I took a great photo of a few workers fishing off the Inpex wharf the other day....
They obviously don't know about their own maps..?? ;)
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Just fish there until told to move on. Not much they can do really. When asked, plead stupid and move.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Thanks guys, have passed the information onto Inpex to modify these maps and make them more accurate.

NT Water Police are going to strictly enforce these zones in the future and issues infringements to any boaties caught within the exclusion zones. Ignorance will not be an excuse.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Fish Tank wrote:You can fish the MOF rockwall and along the shoreline. Cool!

Good to know. I've seen them chase people out of there. Also seen Barra and huge Queenies on those flats.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

tristan.sloan wrote:Thanks guys, have passed the information onto Inpex to modify these maps and make them more accurate.

NT Water Police are going to strictly enforce these zones in the future and issues infringements to any boaties caught within the exclusion zones. Ignorance will not be an excuse.

Sorry but you can only be infringed for breaking a law, these are not gazetted yet as exclusion areas. They will be like the LNG ones once gas boats are coming. They were only recommended safety areas last I heard
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mnemonix »

STANDY wrote:Sorry but you can only be infringed for breaking a law, these are not gazetted yet as exclusion areas. They will be like the LNG ones once gas boats are coming. They were only recommended safety areas last I heard

Incorrect.
As the areas are deemed Safety Zones by Darwin Port Corporation and advice as such has been issued via a Notice To Mariners, breach of these zones is punishable under the ports act at the discretion of the Harbourmaster.

Fines have already been issued under this legislation during the course of the project.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

mnemonix wrote:
STANDY wrote:Sorry but you can only be infringed for breaking a law, these are not gazetted yet as exclusion areas. They will be like the LNG ones once gas boats are coming. They were only recommended safety areas last I heard

Incorrect.
As the areas are deemed Safety Zones by Darwin Port Corporation and advice as such has been issued via a Notice To Mariners, breach of these zones is punishable under the ports act at the discretion of the Harbourmaster.

Fines have already been issued under this legislation during the course of the project.

Agree then, last I heard the future wharf was not deemed A port area as yet. I clear the boats at the MOF and knew that was a MSIC zone but hadn't heard both were zoned
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

So you can or cannot fish around these locations? I thought an exclusion zone around the MOF was only in place if a vessel was berthed and that the wharf was not yet deemed active therefore not enforced as of yet.
The map is poor, I can't see a thing. Anyone got a link. I searched the notice to Mariners.
Neither are signed that I could see. Before anyone jumps on my back, I now work for INPEX and I used to work for COP at DLNG so I'm aware of restrictions when ships are moored and not.
If you can't fish there and it's legit, then I guess you just don't fish there.
Mad KEEN!
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by CharFin »

Tristan,
Can you advise exactly what act, regulation or notice the exclusion zone is made under. I thought I read about the court case that it was a 500m exclusion. Where is it written. What are the exact words, from what point, as you get on Google earth and measure it, it is almost impossible to get into the creeks legally. The paspaley boats would have no chance. The harbourmaster is not in the port corporation any more, gone to marine safety branch. FYI - The port corporation act is mostly repealed, replaced by the Ports Management Act. Any advice appreciated.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Hi guys,

As per the request a more accurate map including GPS reference points.
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Hi Charfin,
From correspondence with Inpex I believe the zones come under maritime safety regulations. If you stay outside the GPS points you should be able to access the creeks.