Construction Tender for Shady Camp Boat Ramp Released

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Construction Tender for Shady Camp Boat Ramp Released

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Can't believe they wouldn't even put lighting in. Also just thinking about when they start work where are people going to launch? If this construction is running on nt time it could take a long time to build and have they organised a secondary ramp so people still have access.

Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

They could just turn the barrage into a lock, and we could use the fresh ramp.
They they cold have a little more control over fish kills.
barnzy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barnzy »

I can't see any advantage in the new proposed ramp at shady. I agree with what's been said, put all the money towards the Dundee ramp. I believe this should go to a vote. At the end of the day where the ones using it so it should be up to us.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Don't see them spending that sort of money mick, a lock would cost a fortune and be useless in a big wet. Put the money towards Dundee and leave shady alone till its going to be done right

pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

My opinion is if it aint broke dont fix it.

For anyone that is interested there is a little info here, although sounds like the usual grubberment spin.

http://www.travelandtourworld.com/news/ ... r-anglers/

Will be interested to see how this part actually plays out "Minister for Primary Industry and Fisheries Gary Higgins said disruptions to anglers will be kept to a minimum during construction with the existing launch process to continue at Dundee where practical and temporary launch facilities to be installed at Shady Camp."
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

Be good to know if the design has been tested for a place that has massive water flows!!!

As the ramp is now, it has a relatively stable and smooth surface which is wide enough for 3+ boats and it is relatively easy to plonk your boat into the water

The wet at times has massive water flows. To put a concrete ramp in will cause a change in the bottom of the creek and the way the water flows. Will big floods cause erosion around the sides and bottom of the ramp causing deep holes to form which will make launching hazardous?

Or will the new ramp make a back Eddie form that dumps a bunch of mud and silt over the ramp and launch area, making it more shallow?

And what about the solo fisherman? as it is now, if I do a solo trip there is plenty of room to anchor my boat out of the way of people who are launching and retrieving , and I know it won't get damaged by the dirt ramp. How is that going to work with a big concrete ramp in the way?

I reckon this new ramp has disaster written all over it, especially if the design has not been tested in high water flows……

For those people who struggle with the launch and retrieve… Look at your trailer before you blame the ramp!!! Invest in a good quality drive on and off trailer!!! A great trailer makes boating so much easier. I invested in an NT unique Trailer. I have never used the winch to retrieve my boat since. It drives on and off with ease and it greatly reduces time spent near the waters edge while launching and retrieving my boat.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

So where is the temp launch facility to be located? How will you get a major construction like building a boat ramp in and a temp launch area in the space they have and how won't it affect launching.
As its been said above I bet they haven't done testing in full flood. Every ramp we have up here is ordinary but they work, this could just make it worse. Also I reckon there's going to be a heap of Landbased guys hanging off it all the time too which will make launching even more fun.

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Scottie5.3 wrote:Don't see them spending that sort of money mick, a lock would cost a fortune and be useless in a big wet. Put the money towards Dundee and leave shady alone till its going to be done right

Haha I was saying this young in cheek, maybe I should have used a few emoticons haha
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

mickkk wrote:My question still stands, what does this 2 million $ worth of upgrade give us.

We get to look at the new boat and 200 series cruiser for the winner of the tender, and a couple of acres of cracker dust.

Throwing money at the existing Shady Camp launch site is nothing more than a desperate election grab and therefore a huge waste of money.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Agreed. Dont touch the car park if you are goin to do any thing and make the ramp better........but i stiĺ wouldn,t bother.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

If the Dundee does not need the extra 2 mil to get done properly, then I think the money would be much better spent on boat ramp security.
I know this sounds like a previous election commitment.
But I think this would please a lot more fisho's than this.

Has the decision been made? Or could they be persuaded.
How does an afant member have a say towards these decisions?
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Spending money on this idea at Shady is useless. The height of the barrage means the 2nd barrage is the main one. If you notice as you go down from the ramp, the little island is silting up and soon we will be not able to get through
tight lines
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

qiksix wrote:The tender has been released for the dundee ramp according to nine news. I'd like to see the drawing for that, anyone know where to find them? Hopefully it's going to be half arsed!

Qiksix I posted a link to the a pdf copy of the drawings.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Scottie5.3 wrote:Can't believe they wouldn't even put lighting in. Also just thinking about when they start work where are people going to launch? If this construction is running on nt time it could take a long time to build and have they organised a secondary ramp so people still have access.

Hadn't thought about where to launch during construction. But hopefully it will be middle of the dry when there aren't too many fishos affected. Be more congested the following wet however when we go from four lanes to a narrow two.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

That may well the issue, if it slows everyone down, at least the current site is quick when the water is up.

Interesting comments about the island building up, if so it could become a $2m lemon.