Construction Tender for Shady Camp Boat Ramp Released

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Construction Tender for Shady Camp Boat Ramp Released

Post by mac10 »

I too get the s...ts with the growing crowds at Shady but could it be because everyone goes at the same time because of the issues with tidal launching? I also quite like the setup at the moment but for me it's not about a launch being a bit too tricky for some, I think it's more that there is either enough water or there isn't.
I only go there when I know I can launch, along with everyone else. If I could launch all year round at most tides I would go whenever I had the time, not whenever the river let me. I'm not sure if everyone is in the same boat (excuse the pun) but I think it would spread the crowds a bit if you could increase the launch period.
And also as has already been said, probably better to take what we can as it could well be a long time before anything else is on offer again.
But yes, it has election stink all over it just like the Dundee Ramp last election.

Chris
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Putting a ramp in that location will be a joke. With the blow out of the second barrage and the change in major water flow now being over that the main barrage will silt over completly in 5 years time if not changed. It is already shallower and evidence of the growth of mangroves taking over is for all to see. Lay some foundations further down or not at all.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

What he said!!! ^
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

I will try and download it today, changing to NBN maybe the only issue, pm me with email address and I will forward plans guys.

cheers Craig
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Here are some links the documents.
Tender Drawings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4xyasb6ejevi ... s.pdf?dl=0
Design Brief: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5vo4vzr4b2ua ... e.pdf?dl=0
Concept Summary: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8pokfqlzltwm ... y.pdf?dl=0

Personally I think the design of the new ramp will be harder to use at the top of the tide and in times of flood than the current arrangement. It also fails to provide any kind of access to boats in the water other than standing on the ramp itself. I would have preferred if it stayed just as wide and flat as it currently is but with a hard base and then a long retaining wall down one side to enable people to move the boat to the side and have dry relatively safe access from it.

Dan
Last edited by dannett on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

It's too close to the barrage, it will be silted over in no time..........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I just want a ramp where I don't have to back my car into the water, and when I get on and off the boat I don't have to wade through several metres of water
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Look, Shady is what it is! Leave the f*@king place alone! I'm a 39 yr old born and bred Territorian and have fished there since I was about 15 yrs old and loved the place for being what it is, an "ADVENTURE!" It's what makes it unique! :mrgreen:
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Release the tender just before the next election........FFS!
No matter where you go, there you are!
miickk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by miickk »

I think we should all be happy they are upgrading it, it wont increase the traffic too much more but will provide access to people who arent as able, I for one dont take my boy or girl there as they are too young imo but would if it was a easier ramp potentially.

as for a downstream ramp, would be great but I do tendering as part of my job and not only would a 5-10km dirt road be a significant outlay short term including maintenance there is alot of other cost implications such as drainage along that road, purchasing land, and new ramp related costs, the current ramp will require minimal prep work to subgrade before the new one is added. then there is the basic point that it looks alot better into an election that we are building a new concrete ramp at shady camp for the whole community instead of we are spending millions on an easier access for those who can go.

in saying that, would be nice if they eventually did both :)
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Great discussion.
At the end of the day everyone can jump up and down and say "leave it be, it is what it is....it adds to the adventure" etc etc.
The fact of the matter is social media plays a massive part in crowding your spot X's. The amount of FB posts, Instagram pics and other social media posts bragging of the fish caught at shady is like ringing the dinner bell at a pig trough. It probably still doesn't change the fact that 10% of the fishos will still catch 90% of the fish but regardless of that, people will still tag their mates and say "let's hit it this week".
I'm not saying it's bad, i just believe it's an overwhelming contributer to pressure on spots. That's the world we live in now.....
All the government is doing is responding to the general public demanding a better facility to launch and retrieve at. Gone are the days of 10 boats mid week at Shady guys. You need to lock that away.
Next it will be the Daly, then Chambers and others eventually.
It's just poor coincidence that we have had unprecedented poor wet seasons in successions that dictate tidal launches. That and as CC stated the regrowth of the downstream cutting.
Don't be too upset tho. As is most things with governments you've still got another 6 years of bank launch with the crowds to go yet.....hopefully tho Huey smiles in the years to come and we get a massive wet to make things easier.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Post by wazdog »

New boat ramp for shady is a good idea, it will make it a hell of a lot safer to launch in the early hours.All the more reason to put it in. Will it make me change my mind about voting for this current government? NO
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

The tender has been released for the dundee ramp according to nine news. I'd like to see the drawing for that, anyone know where to find them? Hopefully it's going to be half arsed!
qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by qiksix »

The tender has been released for the dundee ramp according to nine news. I'd like to see the drawing for that, anyone know where to find them? Hopefully it's not going to be half arsed!
Last edited by qiksix on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

wazdog wrote:New boat ramp for shady is a good idea, it will make it a hell of a lot safer to launch in the early hours.All the more reason to put it in. Will it make me change my mind about voting for this current government? NO

I am not so sure, an unlit, elevated, flat ramp with a change of direction and a drop on off on each side for either the boat to drop in, the car to drop in or a croc to hide in? Early hours near the top of a tide and in flood could be a riskier venture than before.