Bare Sand Island update

Talk about bungled boat ramps, net buybacks, marine no-go zones, mining disasters etc here.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bare Sand Island update

Post by Jeno »

G'day Tristian,

Any chance we could get an update on the status of Bare Sand Is? The Dept of Chief Min hasn't updated its web site info on the issue since 2014...http://www.dcm.nt.gov.au/Bare_Sand_and_ ... it_Islands

No matter where you go, there you are!
tangles
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bare Sand Island update

Post by tangles »

I think I saw the defence force restricted area notice in the paper a month or so ago.
It's all tied up with the Kenbi land claim.
Ventia (formerly Thiess) have won the tender for rehabilitation of 2 former transmission sites on Cox Peninsula.They are currently setting up an office at the old Charles Pt transmission site
And in the next month or so some sort of incinerator is being set up to
Burn off contaminated soil .The remaining contaminated slabs,rubbish etc is going to be buried
In a lined hole at the Charles Pt site.Handover of the Bare sandy Is and lots of other island has been delayed until all the boxes are ticked and the handful of actual to's can come to an agreement
The seem to have lots of plans for the area ,but given the downtown in the property market
I can't see much happening for a while.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

I don't care who reckons they own it.....as long as I access it....in a respectful and responsible way!
tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by tristan.sloan »

Hi Jeno,

You can access it mate. You just need to contact the DOD first. No fires on the beach and you have to camp behind the second dune as its designed a turtle breeding site. Shoot me a PM or a e-mail and i'll give you the DOD contact details.
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

if you are not camping there, but going to watch the turtles come up and lay do you need a permit or permission? there are tour groups that charge big bucks to take groups out there?
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

From Brian Barkworth, Assistant Director Environmental Remediation Programs (UXO): "The Defence Exclusion Zone is not currently in place as no work is being carried out at this time. We have completed the majority of the task and are currently quality checking data to ensure the task is complete. Defence is awaiting advice from the NT Government regarding the handover of Quail Island to the appropriate authority once the project is finalised. At this time the indications are that Defence will not need to reinstate the exclusion zone this year and hence will not be restricting access to Bare Sand Island and surrounds. Should there be a requirement to reinstate the exclusion zone, Defence will publish details in the NT Gazette and inform interested parties where necessary."
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

tristan.sloan wrote:Hi Jeno,

You can access it mate. You just need to contact the DOD first. No fires on the beach and you have to camp behind the second dune as its designed a turtle breeding site. Shoot me a PM or a e-mail and i'll give you the DOD contact details.

Matt Flynn wrote:From Brian Barkworth, Assistant Director Environmental Remediation Programs (UXO): "The Defence Exclusion Zone is not currently in place as no work is being carried out at this time. We have completed the majority of the task and are currently quality checking data to ensure the task is complete. Defence is awaiting advice from the NT Government regarding the handover of Quail Island to the appropriate authority once the project is finalised. At this time the indications are that Defence will not need to reinstate the exclusion zone this year and hence will not be restricting access to Bare Sand Island and surrounds. Should there be a requirement to reinstate the exclusion zone, Defence will publish details in the NT Gazette and inform interested parties where necessary."

Tristan and Matt,

Thank you very much for your replies, hopefully this won't end up as yet another "no-go" zone for the average tax paying home owning NT family man just trying to enjoy life and the much touted "Territory Lifestyle".
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I told Tristan there were some who might consider leaving the NT if Bare Sand Island was ever locked off. Perhaps an exaggeration, but going there for long weekends etc has been a big part of the NT lifestyle for some Darwin families.