Why paint an aluminum boat?

Daneyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daneyboy »

Is it better to have a painted aluminium boat?

A mate of mine said don't paint the hull but I can't remember why.

My old boat is poorly painted and the hull is painted but it doesn't seem to matter too much to performance etc, it still goes through the water.

Does a painted boat help stop corrosion?

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Why paint an aluminum boat?

Post by blw »

Paintes boats are cr.p uf you want to go crabbing or is real shallow water. Just scrapes off on the sticks and rocks. Inside painted stops the glare and the metal getting as hot tho
Crack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crack »

As blw said, painting the inside reduces glare and keeps the temp down a little but for stopping corrosion, not necessarily. If it's not treated properly, anywhere with dissimilar metals will corrode, painted or not. My old boat was painted and it bubbled (corroded) around the rod holders as the previous owner installed them using stainless rivets.
Painted or unpainted hull, there is no difference in performance it really comes down to personnal choice. An older unpainted boat can look better than a newer painted boat if the paint work is cr.p or bubbling.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Because the wife wants a purple boat and what the wife wants the wife gets LOL
Happy wife happy life
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
Daneyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daneyboy »

I'm not drinking the water at Humpty Doo.
pocketfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pocketfish »

When I bought mine it was shiney and new and reflected the sunlight into my eyes and gave me sunburn so I sprayed paint on the inner surface roughly to stop the reflection, the outer surface is everyone elses' problem.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Paint may cost 1k, but it may add 3k to the value to a second hand boat, reduces glare, and makes it easier to identify in case of theft or sea rescue :)
hobbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by hobbsy »

Considering un un painted hull for next boat myself, probably just get stickers/deciles for it & put carpet & foot grip tape on the gunnels to reduce the glare.
Sun, dissimilar metals &. Other things will cause paint to bubble, peel, crack.........
Insanity is a good place to hide from reality!

It is not how long the fish is but how long you have fished & how long you've wished.......
Banana Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Banana Man »

a painted exterior will look like shyte after 1 or 2 trips down a dirt road
Banana Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Banana Man »

*unless you have some really good mud flaps on your ,tow vehicle... :-)
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Lets face it, whether it be painted or decalled up to the hilt a painted boat looks better than an alloy boat and retails for more (depending on condition). I can't see how a dulled alloy, unpainted boat has appeal to someone out to buy one ie have you seen a painted prof crabber's boat that looks good? It really all depends on what you want the boat for. I have never owned a new boat, however have had only painted hulls and all have had minor dings, scratches and minor electrolysis and once cleaned up (polished) look great! iMO dings and scratches give character to the boat and give the impression that you use it regularly... If you buy a dinged and scratched boat you are less likely to squirm rubbing/hitting up against stuff (not the missus) and most likely willing to take your boat in tighter spots... IMO. Open to more debate...
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
madmaskbass
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by madmaskbass »

Just to add something different my boat, like a number of new plate boats coming out, has been coated in Nyalic. Its a clear coating that keeps the alloy looking awesome and a bit protected and stops the glare. It is pretty strong stuff but it doesn't like solvents like petrol...anyway you might have seen it on new boats like stabicrafts, surtees, barcrusher, Mclay's...anyway I am still not 100% on it but i prefer it over paint that's for sure...and is far better than nothing..not cheap but i reckon it's the go
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Definitely be going unpainted hull for next boat, vinyl wrap on the exterior and carpet the inside.
dan444
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dan444 »

whats more durable for an exterior finish - wrap or paint?
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

2pac marine grade dan44 is a hell of lot harder the wrap..Ive painted a few boats including my own in 2pac and it does increase value IMO.Inside of boat is a must for glare etc at least.