Jabsco deck wash

AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Jabsco deck wash

Post by AM »

I am over boats. I can't walk past the thing without finding something to fix. Sweltered before and after Xmas and put new lights , red & white cabin led lights ,underwater lights on the stern, stern lights ,new all round white light, led spot light, three new red led indicator 6 gang switch panels , all good. Did the run with Ghound New Years no probs. Two or three week check and run some salt x through, WTF, port bait tank pump not working , by the time I checked power and peered under transom , to notice drinking straw sized stick in the scoop jamming pump impeller, melt internals in down, ok new pump no great problem. Fitted new pump today, tried it out , fuse burnt out, to be expected really. New fuse it's a goer, flick deck wash on at same time, other switch same fuse, ran three seconds no fuse again. 15 amp mightn't hold both pumps , try a twenty. Bait tank fine again hit the deck wash , bait tank changes sound but no deck wash pump? Check if there is power at pump, yes we have power. So now it's the deck wash ....again. It is 18 monthes old jabsco parmax 5 biggest they had , good pressure on 18mm hose trouble is it was away for a month last July to have pressure switch replaced under warranty and seem like the same again, anybody else got any dramas with this stuff, the boat had a flow jet blaster on it when I got it that wasn't working , and I replaced that and it rusted out in no time, so went to jabsco with three year warranty and I have needed it twice now in 18 monthes. $300 bucks would buy you a bit better unit than what I seem to have. If they don't front up with a newy this time then a bucket is looking good. Or maybe I put it on a plug so I don't have to cut the wire through all the heat shrink etc every 6 monthes, just unplug and throw over left shoulder. What odds on satisfactory outcome as I'm not keen on another month away and 10 calls later. All this while I am building up motivation to do bearings and stainless brake service and repad etc, tell me again how much fun boating is!

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Jabsco deck wash

Post by cuddlescooper »

lol. joys of boats. And joys of bigger boats. Its a never ending battle. I just redid all the trailer brakes and changed a bent axle out of the 6m trailer getting it ready for rego and another season.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

:)
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Jabsco's not what they used to be....they were doing a copper nickel housing a few years ago now but it may still be available?.......I've been running a Shurflow pump for a few years with no dramas........I plug mine into the garden hose at home to flush it and get more pressure than the garden hose so I use it to wash the boat with once plugged in at home.......so it has gotten a fair work out over the last few years with no issues.
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

AM I got 2 1200gph RULE pumps with float switches and had never had them fail !!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

cuddlescooper wrote:lol. joys of boats. And joys of bigger boats. Its a never ending battle. I just redid all the trailer brakes and changed a bent axle out of the 6m trailer getting it ready for rego and another season.
I know the drill with maintenance and don't shrink from what needs doing but twice in 18monthes the thing is out of the way all metal wrapped in denso tape. Breaks and bearings are just scheduled maintain all stainless only thing new will be stainless backed pads to calipers and a rubber boot lit after four years of diesel spray bearings well that's each year then no worries but other poop that gets treated with kid gloves anyway I can do without
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

wally gator wrote:AM I got 2 1200gph RULE pumps with float switches and had never had them fail !!
Bait tank pumps are rule Wally there just in harms way out there. I might just put a huge bilge pump over the back and use that for a deck wash cheaper but not quite as much pressure we had that at Fraser and it was trouble free this pressure pump is a bit of a pr..k if you ask me after 4 years unless I have a bad one.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Basstad wrote:Jabsco's not what they used to be....they were doing a copper nickel housing a few years ago now but it may still be available?.......I've been running a Shurflow pump for a few years with no dramas........I plug mine into the garden hose at home to flush it and get more pressure than the garden hose so I use it to wash the boat with once plugged in at home.......so it has gotten a fair work out over the last few years with no issues.
Good luck with the sure flow had one rust out in no time
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

AM wrote:
wally gator wrote:AM I got 2 1200gph RULE pumps with float switches and had never had them fail !!
Bait tank pumps are rule Wally there just in harms way out there. I might just put a huge bilge pump over the back and use that for a deck wash cheaper but not quite as much pressure we had that at Fraser and it was trouble free this pressure pump is a bit of a pr..k if you ask me after 4 years unless I have a bad one.
Yep that's all we do in the big boat the old pressure pump poop it's self so instead of a bait tank it's now a deck wash hose ..
Micko007
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Micko007 »

What about the new Johnson pump 21 lpm ? Or are they poop ?
I started with nothing! And i still have most of it left.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

As feared it had to go south which did take quite a while from the reseller to send however they have been chasing it up Friday and today. Bad news from jabsco no warranty opened up full of water ,salt water . Your kidding a salt water pump full of salt water fancy that. No it's in the motor bit and the diaphram hasent failed so it isn't their fault . How is that , take a look , the case has no visible damage or bad corrosion so who cares if you don't know how the salt water got in it got in and the pump won't do what it is meant to do Pretty ridiculous for the second time back in 18 months. Prior to this conversation the manager of bias boating had told me they were warranting the pump in store with a refund so credit to them in the end. But what to buy he ended up selling me a Johnson 5.2 so we see how that goes full three year warranty again on the new one. Reasonable outcome but not much confidence in the first brand any more but can't whinge about the local service.
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Better luck with new one am gotta luv its got salt water in it and everything is ok so you are on your own dont know how got salt water there.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I,d be interested in what you think of the Johnson after a few try outs .I'm gonna put one on soon ,but was looking at the jacobs :o

good result with the retailer ,good to hear.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

jeffish wrote:I,d be interested in what you think of the Johnson after a few try outs .I'm gonna put one on soon ,but was looking at the jacobs :o

good result with the retailer ,good to hear.
I will let you know after the season opener but clearly I would rate jabsco fairly low on the list.
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

The Jabsco and Shurflo are good pumps if treated properly. Mount them with the motor UP and inlet/outlet down (biggest mistake made if you dont). Both make pumps for both fresh and saltwater if you are using seawater ensure you get the right one. Wrap the motor housing in denzo tape after giving it a good bath in Lanolin grease and wrap with stainless mousing wire to hold in place. Ensure no water will splash into the the motors stator and they are all good.

I have replaced many over the years with my charter boats being mounted wrong by the builder until I worked it out (dont even get me started on sullage (poo) pumps) Seawater unfiltered will eventually wear the diaphragms out especially with the brown turbid water in the tropics but you can get kits to fix em up.

They wont last forever but if you have a trailer boat put a tee piece in the inlet side to flush the pump with a hose when you get home.

Cheers

Jim

www.seacodemarine.com.au
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...