ISUZU D-MAX ?

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

ISUZU D-MAX ?

Post by ponyplay »

Just wondering if any ones got any heads up on these rigs before we go and splurge money on another toyota , miss's needs new rig and couple people have mentioned them now . Any info would be good , cheers :mrgreen:

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: ISUZU D-MAX ?

Post by mickkk »

Might not be any help to you but if you havnt, have a look at the tritons. Top of the range for 35/36k and Glx for 30 k. Hard to go past them at the moment IMO.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

mickkk wrote:Might not be any help to you but if you havnt, have a look at the tritons. Top of the range for 35/36k and Glx for 30 k. Hard to go past them at the moment IMO.
cheers mate
boof dog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boof dog »

Don't know much about the new model but the old D-Max was not much chop on the dirt (torsion bar front little shocks) had em for work few years ago. The new ones should be better, good motor. I did speak to a guy who drove one up from Perth, he was happy with the power and good fuel econ. He did the Gibb and most of the bolts that hold the tray on(factory well body) came loose!! Have you checked out the BT50/Rangers? my boss just got a dual cab, goes like the clappers and heaps more room than a Gut Lux. All good for on the black stuff and a bit of 'light' off roading. I have been looking at a new dual cab Landcruiser, a lot of dollars but way tougher than anything else out there IMO! Tritons are cheap for a reason.
I'd rather be 'Up North' than 'Up Set'
cunno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by cunno »

Again, no knowledge on the new one but I've had a 2010 dual cab 4x4 Dmax since new. Plenty comfy on the highway, nice to tow the boat, but as BD said, doesn't seem to be built particularly tough for rough roads or off-roading. Good engine and good on fuel.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

boof dog wrote:Don't know much about the new model but the old D-Max was not much chop on the dirt (torsion bar front little shocks) had em for work few years ago. The new ones should be better, good motor. I did speak to a guy who drove one up from Perth, he was happy with the power and good fuel econ. He did the Gibb and most of the bolts that hold the tray on(factory well body) came loose!! Have you checked out the BT50/Rangers? my boss just got a dual cab, goes like the clappers and heaps more room than a Gut Lux. All good for on the black stuff and a bit of 'light' off roading. I have been looking at a new dual cab Landcruiser, a lot of dollars but way tougher than anything else out there IMO! Tritons are cheap for a reason.
I have had a triton GLXR turbo diesel now for five years; I would say that, I do more off road stuff then the average Joe. The only kit I have added is the snorkel, diff breathers. I haven’t had any issues at all and I’ve taken that car everywhere. The only cheap thing about the triton is the price. I've been more then happy with this rig.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I'm picking mine up on Tuesday :-) they don't have torsion bars any more they have coils on the front now
Dundee Hombre
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dundee Hombre »

Get the New HiLux put stiffer suspension and a lift kit, snorkel, bulbar and big tyres on it. They go anywhere I have driven the Plenty twice, the Tanami and Larjamanu Rds and Nathan River Road twice this year, done 70K mostly in the NT in a year. Time for new tyres now, got the first puncture on the Geolanders yesterday. HiLux tows well I have a 6.3 m boat that I hauled across from Longreach recently, did it easily they have a 2.5 ton towing capacity. Get a diesel and if you are brave get a Workmate and put the extras on it.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Blah blah blah -Hilux :P
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

seano wrote:Blah blah blah -Hilux :P
Agree, my oldman's hilux was a lemon, I had three other blokes at work who had the same issue.

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/updat ... p?aid=6862
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

We all have different requirements so we get a different 4x4.
I ended up with a BT50 and love it. Still only got 11k on the clock so its like a new car still.
great to tow with
But i havent done any real rough stuff yet. Thats why i bought it. :bonk: so i cant say what its like off road.
on the blacktop its great
unseen1
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by unseen1 »

Ive had the new dmax since the start of the year.

Went with a LS-U manual model as the difference to the -M is minor, unless u wanna spend extra $$ on the chrome stick on stuff :)

Getting about 10-14km / L .. depending on driving.

I did find that the rear leafs were very stiff and the car did like to "bounce" a little on dirt roads. Once I had my canopy (steel) installed the ride has improved 10 fold.

There is no room under the bonnet without moving something to fit a 2nd battery. And depending on if you go a flat tray or a tub your options for mounting in the back are there as well.

Either way ive been impressed with it, and going from a sh*t old 95 patrol its a winner ..

Again its preference vs dollars. Ive had my mechanic who is a "Toyota" man through and through, tell me that he would have no worries suggesting it to people who are chasing a good 4x4 ute that isnt priced as high as a toyota.

Cheers
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Ben Jam wrote:
Agree, my oldman's hilux was a lemon, I had three other blokes at work who had the same issue.

Is the dirty fuel toyotas fault ?
During the wet season the servos up here are bad for water in the fuel I always drain the fuel bowl in my hilux just to make sure there's not water in it I've got 165000 on my 08 model now I try not to let the water warning light come on by checking/draining filter ;)
Toxic
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Toxic »

The main dramas with the Lux was the BS common rail injection, they've now gone back to direct injection. Still electronic just no common rail.
10 - 14 litres per 100km is pretty cr.p economy, my 95 Cruiser gets that (non Turbo) My mates 06 Lux gets 8 - 10 litres and 12 - 14 towing a 6.8m Haines Hunter, god knows what it weighs but it's heavy.
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

DOUG wrote:
Ben Jam wrote:

Is the dirty fuel toyotas fault ?
During the wet season the servos up here are bad for water in the fuel I always drain the fuel bowl in my hilux just to make sure there's not water in it I've got 165000 on my 08 model now I try not to let the water warning light come on by checking/draining filter ;)
Fairly common experience for people all over AUS, each costing about 5k to fix. Other 4x4 have been using the same fuel without issue. I think when you have new/newish vehicle you believe it to be reliable. I also read somewhere that other countries had recalled hilux but AUS for some reason didn't? My mate took his hilux in to Toyota three times before we did a net search and came with that link. It cost him each time he took it in there, and a further 5k to get the injectors and fuel pump done. There were that many comments on the net, I just could not believe Toyota Darwin didn’t know the common issue already, instead they made him going through all the head scratching bullsh*t.