DIY Water Tank

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
maaaario10
Silver Member
Silver Member

DIY Water Tank

Post by maaaario10 »

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on fitting a water tank to my Hilux. I've been looking around at all the 4x4 stores for while now but haven't really found what i've been looking for.
Now i'm considering making my own but not quite sure how to go about it. What material? What tap/hose fitting? size? etc.

Anybody out there made their own water tank and care to share some ideas?

I'm hoping to make something that can be hidden under the tray but i'm open to ideas. The water will be used for cleaning during fishing :fishing: & hunting :hunting: trips, not for drinking.

olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: DIY Water Tank

Post by olfart »

Suss out the caravan repairers in McKinnon rd, the belly tank off a caravan might be the goods.
graham.
You could give the truck parts mobs a go too. The plastic tanks fitted to trailers aren't that big, depends on how much room you'll have to mount it. They're generally the size of a 20l drum, some have a flat side on them.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

do an online search for caravan water tanks
They have hundreds of shapes and sizes to suit. strong as
Or you can get a custom made one in plastic welded.
maaaario10
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by maaaario10 »

Thanks for the input guys, just a quick update of my temporary solution.

I used a small piece of PVC and some tap fittings to make a small water tank that fits underneath my tray. Painted it black and nobody would even know it's there :wink:

It holds about 12-15Litres, and is perfect for that sneaky afternoon fish. I always have it full so the water is always available and it's safe to say the interior of my car is loving life, no more muddy/sandy feet when getting in.

Still planning on getting a larger custom made plastic tank made up but for now i'm pretty chuffed with this one. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good ending. Might pay to support the brass tap to prevent it from snapping off on rough roads. Happened to me miles from nowhere and i lost all my water
googz
Seadog
Seadog

Post by googz »

or swap it for a plastic tap