79 Series Clutch Replacement

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

79 Series Clutch Replacement

Post by Lumborghini »

Gday,
The clutch in my 2007 79series V8 cruiser has finally pooped itself,
This has been slowly getting worse especially on loose ground until it finally let go on the weekend and blew smoke everywhere. I melted the farker.

Well I need to have it replaced, and was wondering if anyone on here can share any expertise or guide me in the right direction to have it sorted?

Generally, is it possible/recomended to do this myself? I am fairly mechanically minded but have never replaced a clutch.
Does anyone have any recomendations as to where I can get this replaced at a good price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Lumbo

Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 79 Series Clutch Replacement

Post by shaggs »

How many arms and legs are you willing to sacrifice LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

probably need to machine the flywheel as well.
I would go see Phil Kerr in town when he re opens next week
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

Google it Lumbo , it will be on there step by step !! and will more than likely have piccys to. you know what they say ! if it aint on google it dosent excist :).
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

Done it in my old 80 series Lumbo........it can be done at home and i'm sure you are capable of it.......BUT........they are a big heavy box and your gunna need some sort of trolley jack with a cradle to support it.

Fairly easy mechanically wise just the weight and awkwardness of it all without a hoist etc.......Rattle gun would be nice aswell.

Young John at Lukies mechanical in Winnellie does a good job....would recommend them have look at it.
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

Lumbo, try looking at a website specifically for Landcruisers. I use LCOOL.org. It's a great site, no problems getting info off it or from others like yourself needing to do some back yard maintenance. I did my clutch on the 100 series (6 cylinder diesel). Took me just under a day to drop the transfer case off the gearbox, then remove the gearbox. There was a little trick in rotating the gearbox and bell housing to get the starter motor boss to clear the chassis. I used a car jack ( a large 2 ton) on wheels to take the weight of the box and used it to slide it backwards or forwards when I took it out and put it back in.

Popping the spigot bearing out the back of the crack was simple also. Just pack it with grease and use a slightly smaller punch and hit the grease. The grease pushes from the crank side and pops the bearing out your way.

I lined the clutch plate up under the pressure plate by looking through the clutch plate inner splines back into the spigot bearing. Use a screwdriver with the pressure plate just nipped up enough to hold the clutch plate against the fly wheel. The pop it all back together.

FYI

Dex